Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

I need help choosin a hound please help

Old 11-03-2004, 06:03 PM

Default I need help choosin a hound please help

Ive been wanting an all around good loyal dog that will chase anything with fur. any ideas
Old 11-03-2004, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need help choosin a hound please help

we use redbones up here for bobcat, cougar, bear, and anything else. If your looking for a rabbit,squirrel, bird dog I'm sure a retriever or any of the "bird dog" breeds will work fine. I personally think redbones are THE ultimate chase dog.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:55 PM

Up here in kentucky theres many diffrent hounds that are used i myself would personally select a walker because i have 2 and they have never let me down when it comes to treeing or running all types of animals that u can take the fur from but when hunting squirrles ill admit if u dont train them right they will most the time destroy the hide for some reason but i agree red bones are pretty decent dogs around here to but i personally like walkers. ~!!~Hunting Is My Life~!!~
Old 11-04-2004, 04:03 PM

all about the begals!!!!!!!!!! begal man
Old 11-06-2004, 12:21 AM

squirrelslayer, I can bet you what you are looking for is an Original Mountain Cur. I'm telling you, these are a natural tree dog and easy to break off any trash. Squirrel are their specialty, but guys use them on coons, hogs, and even bears. Basically, anything that will climb a tree, a cur will put it there and tell the world about it. They get to be 40-50 pounds, but double the grit. I've posted this pic of my cur pup before, but this is my Original Mountain Cur at less than 7 months of age, already got him in the woods and expecting him to start himself on squirrel this fall...just have to give him an honest chance and woods time. You should visit www.sqdog.com and go to the forums section to learn all about them from knowlegable guys over there.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:31 AM

Good luck
Old 11-06-2004, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

curs are too small for bears/cougars. You would be buying dogs left and right cause yours would get killed left and right.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:46 PM

Brutal Attack, there are guys who tree bears regularly with their curs and big cats, too. Look at this... http://www.sqdog.com/forums/index.ph...opic=18292&hl= Take a look for yourself...this Maverick guy used them all the time. A lot of guys use curs from the Striker line of curs, which is a big game bloodline. The big game animals will run when dogs are trailing them, and they will tree or bay up just like a little old squirrel sometimes. You said someone would be buying dogs left and right becuase they'd get killed, but I'd bet that a cougar or bear could kill a hound just as quick as he could a scrappy cur dog if he wanted to. A bear or cougar hunter would be buying hounds as often as he would curs when it comes down to it. There are some bigger strains up to 65 pounds, which is as big as some of the hounds, and they've got the grit of two dogs. Also, you could get a Blackmouth Cur, usually used on big bad hogs, and they grow to 60-75 pounds. However, I took that the original post's author, based on his name and his post and his age (looks to be 14 from his profile) is looking for an "all around dog," not likely a bear dog, but perhaps a squirrel or coon dog. I think, having one of my own, that a cur would be a good "all around dog." Good luck