Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Muzzy practice blades for coon and fox?

Old 09-13-2004, 09:21 PM

Default Muzzy practice blades for coon and fox?

I bought my muzzys for deer hunting the other day and they came with three practice blades (enough for 1 broadhead). They are not sharp, but they have the regular sharp tip and i was wondering if you thought they would work for a fox or coon on the ground better than a feildpoint or am i wasting my time. Nay thoughts?
Old 09-16-2004, 12:14 AM

Default RE: Muzzy practice blades for coon and fox?

personally....i think ya owe it to the critter to go ahead and kill it right, use razor-sharp broadheads (but the cheapest out there, but get em sharp!) and have the ability to place it exactly where you want.

I'm not much fun am I?[&o]
Old 09-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-16-2004, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Raccoons are tough critters, trust me on this... I have the scars to prove it.

I save the blades from when I shoot a deer or.... gulp... miss a deer and use those on squirrels and 'coons.

They don't need to be 'shaving' sharp.. but they shouldn't be dull.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:42 PM

You have to be kidding if you think you are going to kill a coon with a field point or a practice broad head. Coons are tough!!! Let me tell tell you a little story im not proud of. I was fourteen and was running a trap line. Used to dispatch all my animals with a baseball bat. Well I caught a 40 pound monster coon in a 1 1/2 inch coil spring and I tried to kill it with the bat. About ten whacks later the poor thing still wasn't dead, and I had to go back and get my .22 rifle. That was one of the lowest points in my hunting and trapping career. From that day forward I dispatched everything with a my rifle. The pain I inflicted on that coon almost made me quit trapping and hunting. That was twenty years ago, but that lesson never left me. Ever scince then I make sure whatever I do, I kill and animal fast and quick. If I have any doubt about the outcome I don't do it.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:42 PM

Woody, i hear you. As i kid i was always amazed that a 20lbs animal shot in the throat with a .22LR hollowpoint could take a 20foot free-fall and still give a 40lbs dog a respectable fight.

In fact, if I still had a grandpa to go hunting with I'd probably be every bit as amazed today.