Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Shtogun squirrel. What shot #

Old 09-04-2004, 09:15 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default Shtogun squirrel. What shot #

Took my 8 year old out today. was usin #8 dove/quail load. We just got him a rossi .22cal/20g combo. We had the shot gun barrel on there today. His first shot was about 7:30 this morning. He got a good shot on a swuirrel about 30-40 yards up a tree. Knocked it off the branch it was on but somehow it grabbed hold of the branches below. We would have had a follow up shot but my boy fell back and started crying. the hamer spur bit into his nose, and the recoil jarred his shoulder more than he was expecting. He's fired my 12 g with skeet load before but I guess he didn't have it seated in his shoulder well. Anyway the squirrel made his way down the tree and vanished. about a half hour later I used his shotgun to shoot another one. . a good solid hit, but again, didn't knock it out of the tree and when I got over to the base of the tree (underbrush is thicker than ever this year.) I couldn't see the damned thing. spent about 30 minutes looking around and waiting. Nothing. I don't want to wander around the woods wounding animals. Was I using too liht a load for squirrel? any advice out there?

David
Old 09-04-2004, 09:47 AM

Default RE: Shtogun squirrel. What shot #

#8's though a 20 guage can and will kill squirrels however 30-40 yards is pushing the limit for this load. when i used to use a 20 gauge i always used high velocity gameloads in #6's. it would knock them good and hard. you get a little more range from the 6's then the #8's as well. you also should pattern the gun at those ranges. say your useing a mod. choke at 40 yards maybe one or two pellets will hit. with the heavier loads this is all it takes however for the lighter stuff you should prob. be no father then 25 yards max.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:17 AM

choke is as important as shot size.most squirrel hunting here in the south in the bottoms could test a good turkey gun.the most popular shot size is #5 or #6 and a full choke.i would not want to use anything smaller than #6.if you shoot a squirrel inside 30 yards with 71/2 or 8 shot you are going to be picking out a lot of shot after you dress it.i only hunt them with a .22 or .17 but grew up hunting them with a shotgun.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

i had the same problem with 7's and 8's out of my 20 gauge. I went to number 5's or 6's in extended range Remingtons and solved the problem.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

i use turkey loads for squirrels in a 20 ga......a heavy load of copper plated 6s...i used a single shot myself.....and never had a problem with them getting away....the barrel had a full choke though......i learned real quick not to shot them close.........the loads are a bit pricey.....but it beats having squirrels wounded and running off n hiding to die...i made some impressive shots with taht 20ga....im gunna have to take it out again this year...havent shot it since my first year hunting i think........it was a fun gun.....8s are pretty light...i shot a groundhog at like 15yds max witha modified 12ga and 1 1/8th oz 8s....first shot was right to the face......it looked like i just stunned him but i had a semi.....so i didnt let him stick around to see waht happens and put another one to his face.....now that i use a 12ga i can get away with GOOD 7 1/2 or cheap 6shot...but i quit using cheap shells except for dove hunting.....when even still i find the GOOD cheap shells...6s always worked good for me.......5s may be better in a 20 ga...but in the 12 i about blew one up at a medium range last year i hit one with my long range pheasant load......
Old 09-06-2004, 06:13 AM

I have killed a ton of them with 8's and a 20, but I used a full choke and never shot past 20/25 yards. What choke are you using?
If it isn't Modified or Full, I would try 6's...

I know how it feels to loose a squirrel, they are the only animals I've ever lost, and I also spent at least a half hour looking for them (Lost Two) Don't beat yourself up too bad...

Good luck...
Old 09-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

try OO buck that usally takes care of them j/p i would say about size 6 . when i was about 11 i started using my 20 i used a 410 b4 it i shot more game with that lil 410 then i could belive lol
Old 09-06-2004, 07:41 AM

When I use a 20 ga I use a Full choke out of my Mossberg, I use #4 shot. When I use a 12 ga I use a mod. choke, I use #6 shot.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:22 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

I just checked the website of the shotgun It's a rossie matched pair. it's modified, 22 inch barrel. I picked up some extended range #6 dove load for it yesterday. I figure that will work a bit better than the #8's. I probably will switch to the 22 barrel anyway, since my 8 year old doesnt seem to be able to handle the recoil yet anyway.

David
Old 09-09-2004, 03:01 AM
Typical Buck

my 9 year old uses a 410 with extended shot #6 he handles the recoil real good and kills a bunch each year with it he just keeps me around to pick up the ones he kills have you tried a ruger 10-22 its a real good gun for a kid just put a good scope on it and it will also help when he is ready to go after something bigger like deer

Quick Reply: Shtogun squirrel. What shot #

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.