Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyote ?

Old 02-27-2002, 07:13 PM

Default coyote ?

me and my buddy know where there are coyotes by where their dens are they are there at all times how should we approach the den how far should we go to call the den is in a holler and and fields surround it if u got any helpful tips please leave em. thanks
Old 02-27-2002, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: coyote ?

i would say from downwind so they can't smell you about 300-400 yards.

"Trophies are not measured in Inches!"
Old 02-27-2002, 10:38 PM

I'am guessing what you guys have found is more than likely the "core"area of a packs territory.Out here in the west anyhow,coyotes don't live in a den yesr round.The only time we find them at a den site persay,is when the alfa female welps her pups.Even then, only her and the pups are allowed to accually enter the den itself.The alfa male is usually standing guard somewhere close by.The rest of the year they will just lay up during the day in some brushy secure area within their territory.This time of yesr I would try and get as close as I could without being detected and use my howler.With new pups on the way the resident coyotes really don't want any new compitetion in their territory.
Old 02-28-2002, 03:32 PM

I would most likely take a new coyote to this area to make that one mad one that is tame and that way you will have the coyote you are hunting not as afraid of you. Then record your coyote attacking a pet rabbit and play this call through a radio, and he will come. Then you must have a proper weapon for this coyote. if you are wanting to mount it not nothing real powerful but there. So I would say a 22 mag would work at close range. but if further than 200 yards I would go with a little more power not going over a .270 caliber. That is all you need to know. Good luck with this coyote.