Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

eating squirrel

Old 08-21-2004, 12:42 PM

Default eating squirrel

i never really shot enough squirrels to worry about eating them most of the time i throw them to the side of a tree however i am wanting to get out more and give the 22 some work. how should i go about cleaning and cooking them?

oh and do they taste good??

thanks
Old 08-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: eating squirrel

Squirrel is easy to clean I usually just cut the head off and make a slice down the front and the skin peels off and there great to eat, Try the cooking forum down a little farther I think theres some squirrel recipies down there
Old 08-21-2004, 01:58 PM

Your thowing away the squirrels? Man, are you missing out on some great eating. The only squirrels I don't keep are Red Squirrels, (Pine Squirrels) But the Fox's and greys always go in my game bag. I've been hunting squirrel since I've been 12yrs. old. I'm 52 now and always look foreward to squirrel hunting. Go to Google and type in squirrel recipes. There's more than you'll ever use. and most of them are great.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:29 PM

thanks... where i hunt i have seen over 10 different black squirrels i will never shoot a black squirrel but as soon as i see a grey in the bunch he gets it. thanks for the help again... so i just need to cut the head off and slice the tommy and take the insides and the fur off and it is good to go?? cool
Old 08-21-2004, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: killer243

i never really shot enough squirrels to worry about eating them most of the time i throw them to the side of a tree however i am wanting to get out more and give the 22 some work. how should i go about cleaning and cooking them?

oh and do they taste good??

thanks
Old 08-21-2004, 07:33 PM

Man, if your gonna shoot something you better use it and not just leave it.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DearSlayer357

Man, if your gonna shoot something you better use it and not just leave it.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:18 PM

well i don't want to get hell from everyone cause i didn't eat the squirrels god to me they are little varmonts (sp) do you eat coyotes, fox, prairie dogs or groundhogs?

i didn't write this thread to hear people bit%#h about me leaveing 5 or so squirrels a year lay in the woods you know how many little prairie dogs lay in a feild after one day of shooting them??? a lot.

sorry but if you are going to post about me leaveing a few squirrels lay please don't POST
cause i don't want to hear about it.

however i would like more info on cooking them
Old 08-22-2004, 07:54 AM

Killer243 ; there are some good ways to cook them on the cooking form.
we take the young ones and pan fry them like chicken. (season,flour and fry) real simple.
the old ones we put in the pressure cooker till tender, then fry or make gravey (sorta like roast beef).great eating.

cleaning is easy ; I put mine into a bucket of water,(that makes the hair not stick to the meat.) I then chop off the head tail feet , cut a slit in the middle of the back. stick two fingers into the slit,the two fingers from the other hand into the slit the other way.then just pull till the skin comes off. gut wash , cut up. ready to cook.

as for as bashing you about leaving them by a tree. They are not coyotes,or ground hogs, fox, or even rats. they are game animals,not varmints.that is the main thing.

if you take a game animal you should take it to someone that can use it or eat yourslef.I think what everyone is saying is not to waste food animals.we try not to give the antis any more ammo than we can.all it takes is a little and they go crazy.they will take the smallest thing and blow it to the moon.please don't take it that we are trying to bash you,just inform you as what not to do,so the anti's want have anything to hit us with.
Hope this will help you understand how we all as hunter feel.
As for not wanting to hear it ; then maybe you should not post things that upset hunters.if something like that little statement hurts your feelings or makes you mad,then you may get a real big surprise if you post something big.I hope what I say here doesn't offend you any.just making myslef and some others known as to how we feel.after you have been around a while your skin will get thicker and things like this will roll off and you will go on with life.[&:][]

as the old saying goes "Waste not Want not"

go out and take a few and cook them up and you will see why you were told not to waste them.[8D]
Old 08-22-2004, 10:30 AM

climber thanks...it didn't bother me on what people were saying and i agree that is why i am going to try eating them however when i posted i didn't want info on leaveing them there. i never liked it that is the whole reason i started this thread is so i can find out what to do with them after i get them

Quick Reply: eating squirrel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.