Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Nebraska hunting

Old 05-13-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Nebraska hunting

I'm moving out to Kearney, Nebraska in a few months. I was wondering how the hunting in that area is, how much public land is there, and if the landowners are real giving to let people on their land. Also, what kind of game is there to hunt? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:49 AM

Default RE: Nebraska hunting

I live in NW Nebraska. In general we have Pheasant, Coyotes, Skunk, Badger, Pronghorn, Whitetail and Mule deer, Prairie Dogs, Grouse, dove, fox, elk, and bighorn sheep. I'm sure I missed some too. Elk is a once in a lifetime draw. Meaning you get an Elk license you can't ever get another one. Bighorn sheep were reintroduced about 10 years ago. I think they have 2 licenses a year. 1 they draw and the other is auctioned off.

Go to http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/hunting/hunting.asp to get good details. There is quite a bit of public land in Nebraska, but of course the best hunting is on private.

I went out Prairie Dog hunting a couple of weeks ago and saw Pheasant, Coyotes, Pronghorn, mule deer, whitetail and of course Dove and Prairie Dogs. Land owners are getting a lot more stingy with hunting rights. If you work for a grain company or some other agricultural company where you get to know a lot of landowners your chances of getting permission will go way up.