Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Have some questions on "ground hoggin"

Old 04-08-2004, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default Have some questions on "ground hoggin"

I have recently been asked to "exterminate" a number of "pesty" animals from a horse farm in Maryland. Racoons, groundhogs, possum and my favorite pesky animal...whitetail deer.
Anyway, I have never done any dedicated groundhog hunting and am in need of some wisedom.
I feel that I am OK in the arms department. I have a .223 rifle and a custom 10/22. I may even try to bowhunt some of them.
What I need to know are if there are any better times to groundhog hunt, signs to look for (other than holes in the dirt), how to set up. Kind of a basic crash course, good overview, a decent foundation to start from.
Thanks to all,
Mark
Old 04-08-2004, 10:45 AM

Default RE: Have some questions on "ground hoggin"

sit adn wait for them early or late in the day when it is a tad cooler out adn drop them as they come out to feed or carry a gun while deer scouting and if you see one drop him, that is how i get most of my chucks.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:52 AM

Default RE: Have some questions on "ground hoggin"

Try to Locate all the Holes .. You can just sit and wait watching.. they usually never travel far from the hole... You can smoke them out... If you smoke them out cover all the holes two.. the one your flowing the smoke into and another hole close by.. Pop them as they come running out... Yes this does work... WV farm boy messed around with groundhogs all my life...