Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

crow hunt...

Old 02-07-2004, 07:30 AM

Default crow hunt...

This morning I woke up early and got set up on the edge of a field and
started with my mouth call. Instantly a few crows were circling over head
and cawing back. Getting no shot oppurtunites, I waited and changed
calls and my decoy set up. After a few minutes of cawing back they came
in and I managed to get one. Another fun morning of crow hunting, now
I'm off to Harrisburg for the sports show.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:51 AM

Default RE: crow hunt...

what is the diff between a crow and a raven? And what is the point of hunting crows? I have no idea and no experience, so these are serious questions. I really have no idea about how to crow hunt. lol

A little help on crows please.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:12 PM

Difference between crow and raven. Crow taste way better. LOL just kidding. I don't really know. You hunt crows because they ruin crops and are pests. All you need is some camo, a call, and a gun. They see really well. Just sit out there and call. When you see the first one circling, don't shoot it. That is the scout crow. If he is shot down, others won't comes. Plus he doesn't taste as good. Too tough. When a flock flies in then blast them. Others use decoys. I don't though. If you do get some crow decoys and an owl decoy. Set them up and do a fighting call. They will come in. Also when you get some throw the bodies on the ground and they will look like decoys. Have fun!!
Old 02-10-2004, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just use a .22?
Old 02-11-2004, 06:50 PM

I use shotgun. .22 are great for when they're on tree tops.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

A Raven is almost twice the size of a crow and has a different call all it's own. Trouble is you don't see to many Ravens compared to crows!!
I want to use my new .17 HMR rimfire to snipe them!! Since crows are a migration bird, they have seasons on them now!! I'm just getting into crow hunting myself!!
Old 02-18-2004, 11:09 PM

Yeah I have a few at my house in the morning...................the trouble is the city of seattle would not want me shooting them.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

idahohunter have you ever been to auburn n.y. we have thousands upon thousands of crows just in 1 city alone we have a crow shoot each year and only got 1,000 downtown at night the crows look like black leaves on a tree

id us a shotgun with some junk loads
Old 02-22-2004, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Going after crows is fun and we have lots out here. Finding a place to shoot is difficult at times but when you actually find the place, its really fun. I usually bring my .22 and shotgun with me. My tactic is pretty simple; just drive around until you see some or just sit and wait. One bummer part is after awhile is the birds get smart and avoid that spot. Just have to get up and move to different spot.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:34 PM

The key to killing A LOT of crows is finding their major flyways. They usually roost in urban areas where they are protected and then in the early morning, they fly to rural areas to feed. The best time to catch them is early in the morning and just before dusk while they're flying to and from their main roost.
I went crow hunting with a buddy of mine a few years ago and he had permission to hunt a farm about 8 miles out of the city limits. We must have shot 4 boxes of shells that morning and killed a bunch of those black bandits.