Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

want to start yote huntin

Old 01-12-2004, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default want to start yote huntin

i want to try it out. seem some yotes the other day in a corn feild so might try there and hear em behind my farm. but what kind of call do i need? got an 3006 so plenty of power. any suggestions that a beginner should know. thanks.

o yeah and after u shoot a yote do u have to pick it up or can u leave it there and keep callin yotes in? and like hunting crows after you call some in is that area done or can you keep callin them in, in that area? thnks
Old 01-12-2004, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: want to start yote huntin

We just chunk them down the hill. Unless we save the pelt.

I use a rabbit in distress call to get them in there. Loads of fun.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's probably not a predator call on the market that won't call in a coyote, if used correctly. I'd suggest picking up a closed reed cottaintail and/or a jack rabbit distress call. Both will work in most places, even if there aren't any rabbits around. I prefer open reed calls because of the diverse sounds that one can get out of them, but that is just a preference. Set up where you can see down wind well for the approaching coyotes, they almost always come into your downwind side.
When you call a coyote in and kill it, you can sometimes keep calling and another may show up, but there is no need to stay for over 30 minutes at that one spot. And, if you kill one/two at a spot, give it a week or so before trying that exact spot again. In general, you need to move at least 1/4 mile from each spot for your next set, in wide open country like out here west, we may move a mile between sets. Amount of wind and cover are decideing factors on distance between sets, as heavy cover/wind both keep the sound from traveling a great distance.
You may find that calling them in is one thing, but getting them killed is another. Good Luck!
Old 01-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok thnks. i am thinkin that i might order a call and a rabbit dec so this weekend i can go out and try her. i got a place behind the farm were there is a row of trees and the rest is some sloughs and pasture land. its wide open hilly land and i can sit in the trees and see for about 1 or 2 miles. and we always hear yotes out there in the evenings and nite. so i think that would be my frist spot to hit. but the next thing i need to get is a 223 since my 3006 is too big i think. it is sighted in for 165 grain at 250
Old 01-13-2004, 03:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

If i had the money i would at least get one mounted on my wall. After that keep the pelts. As for others after that. I dont know how they taste so if anybody knows that, let me know lol
Old 01-15-2004, 08:51 PM
jmp

they taste like chicken,,, works good in a burito also...........