Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Keeping squirrels fresh

Old 06-14-2016, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Default Keeping squirrels fresh

What are some of your secrets to keeping squirrels from spoiling on hot days when hunting. I have several public areas that are covered up in them but I would walk about a mile in down a tree line + the walk out. It would take about 2 hours for the hunt and I'd hate to have the first few spoil in the heat. Was thinking about carrying a small softside type cooler with ice in it.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Carry several big ziplock bags with some ice in them in your game pouch. Skin and gut them before putting them in the ziplock bags and they'll last as long as you're out in the field with no problem. Also carry a small roll of towel paper to clean your hands or have some disposable rubber gloves to keep them clean.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

squirrels aren't bad about spoiling, just keep the flys off them, I've killed deer in july and never had one to spoil.
RR
Old 06-14-2016, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty much the same as a do with Rabbit or Birds, I gut them quick, prop the cavity open with a stick and put them in an open ended game bad or pouch so they get some air circulation. I carry a plastic bag of salt and Pepper mix to rub the exposed flesh if I have to hang them on my belt, helps discourage the Flies. A few flies or a couple of hours of heat is unlikely to do any damage. The guts start cooking off first from all the bacteria.

When I have big expectations and a long road trip I take a cooler full of those reusable freezer packs and stuff the body cavity with them on larger game. Would also work for small game. Been my experience if they start to turn bad it is often from the inside out, it takes awhile to really get going though.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have a bunch of these I use. The small ones in a soft side cooler which can hang off your shoulder works well.

http://www.arctic-ice.com/freezer-pack-dimensions/

Al
Old 06-15-2016, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

I do pretty much as Topgun suggested but instead of putting ice in the bag I freeze a 20oz bottle of water and put it in my game pouch/bag with the squirrels.