Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

357mag rifle for varmints--thoughts?

Old 05-31-2016, 11:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Remember, if you shoot 38sp ammo, it will not have the distance as a with.357 Mag because of a shorter casing with different and less powder. If your intent is predators and fur, you would be better off with the .22 hornet and non expanding ammo than the .357 . The reason wad cutters are made is for target shooting. They have square shoulders, for lack of a better word, to punch clean holes in paper for ease of scoring the target. If you take them up to the speed of a .357 mag they most certainly will expand and make a substantial hole in fur and if you load them down you lose the distance you probably need to hunt fox and yotes. Your choice. I am a believe in keeping it simple.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear you, Oldtimr.

you would be better off with the .22 hornet and non expanding ammo than the .357 .
If I can locate one that's affordable, I'll snap it up in a heartbeat.

Happily, I just learned of a possible way to get one. A little horse trading, a gift certificate, etc. and it might be in my cabinet.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wish you Good luck.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

22 Hornet is a great little round! I use one with Hornady VMaxs to shoot groundhogs at the County Fairgrounds where I live here in MI along with trapping to keep them under control.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

22 Hornet is a great little round!
It's actually my first choice. The trouble is finding one in a price I can afford.

It would perfect fr what I'd like to do.