Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Baiting squirrels

Old 10-18-2003, 08:43 PM

Default Baiting squirrels

Just tried my hand at squirrel hunting today. Boy, what a challenge! Was wondering if any of you ever bait them? If so, what kinds of bait do you use? Heard peanut butter was a decent/cheap bait, but haven' t tried it yet.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Baiting squirrels

I personally don' t bait them. Usually I switch up between stalking and sitting.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:34 PM

well since we line in the country,we just go into the back yard and get some peacans and put them under the pecan tree and i shootem' all day long...with my .22 longs [X(][>:]
Old 10-19-2003, 07:28 PM

Went out again this evening. Was gonna try baiting them, but said screw it. Just sat there and waited. Was there for about 2 hours, and saw 2 of them suckers up in the trees. The hunt buddy was in the way, so I didn' t get off any shots....grrrr. Man, squirrels teach patience...lol

I wish I lived in the country. I' m about 2 miles into the town limits. I' m almost in squirrel/yote heaven...[:' (]
Old 10-20-2003, 10:46 AM

put you up a feeder and fill it with corn.give it a few days and go sit up in a tree and shoot with 22 shorts or 22 cb caps.they will be there every morning just as day breaks.[:-]
Old 10-20-2003, 09:52 PM

There' s an idea. Never even thought about using a feeder. Since I use the WMA, think it might be best to use a homemade type? I might be able to make an el-cheapo out of a milk carton or something....lol
Old 10-21-2003, 10:54 AM

take a 5 gal. bucket ,cut a 1 1/2" hole in the bottom,put a pieace of 3/4" pvc pipe 3' long with a T on the top,drop it through the hole.so the T fite over the hole in the bottom,fill with corn,hang where the pipe it about a foot off the ground.every time a squirrel hits the pvc,a few grains of corn will fall out.

play with it till you get the amount coming out the way you want it.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:43 PM

Ya man. Its called hickory tree.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:11 AM

TRY A BAG OF CORN. GIVE THEM A DAY TO FIND IT
Old 10-26-2003, 06:49 AM

Default RE: squirrel baiting

Actually I think it would be a waste of time baiting for squirrels. If you go out and find good hardwoods with either oak, beech, or hichory trees, thats all the baiting you need. Also look for a corn field that boarders those kind of woods and you' ll be in the money. All the tree rats you need will be in that area.

Quick Reply: Baiting squirrels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.