Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

i need predator hunting help

Old 10-08-2003, 10:07 AM

Default i need predator hunting help

A woman who allows me to turkey hunt on her land, recently had her dog attacked by some type of predator according to the vet. I know for a fact that there are foxes and coyotes on her property. She asked me to start hunting them and kill all i could. I have no experience and no idea how to hunt them. I figured i would take a 12 gauge with buckshot and my .243 with me to the woods. Is that acceptable? What type of calls should i buy or decoys?Camoflauge?Scent control? I need help. I would like to do this cheaply but effectively without having to buy an electronic call system. Please give me some feedback guys thanks. I live outside of Boone, NC in the mountains, if terrain is a factor. Thanks ya' ll.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:39 AM

Default RE: i need predator hunting help

Go to any outdoors store and purchase a predator rabbit call. You can get either cotton tail or Jack rabbit, I would go with which ever one is most abundant in your area. They usually have directions on them on how to properly use them, but everyone has there one technique. I try to sound like a baby that has lost its mother and crying uncotrollably. The main thing is to put feeeling and emotion into your calling, you don' t want to make the same noise over and over again and being repetitive. Just vary your calls and pitches. I start out with a quiet sequence for about 3-5 minutes and pause for about the same amount of time. then I go with a louder sequence and then pause. The 3rd and usually last sequence for calling coyotes I start loud and end soft. If you want to call bobcats you usually have to stay longer and be more patient. I usually call about 15 minutes in one spot for coyotes and no less than 30 minutes for bobcats. As far as dressing, I prepare like I am going deer hunting. Try to get in a place where you can see around you well and also be concealed. A decoy set to the side works well b/c the predator will concentrate more on it than you. Hope I have helped and good luck.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:24 PM

so you are saying that if i sit and call for 15 minutes with no luck i should move to another spot? how far should i move? should i wear cover scent? Man i sure appreciate the advice.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:15 PM

I really don' t worry about cover scent a whole lot, I try to get down wind of where I think they may come out. Yotes usually come in w/in the first minute or last sequence. The ones that come in quick usually aren' t too worried about their surroundings, it' s the ones that take their time that you have to watch out for, they will nail you if you make one wrong move. I usually move about 300 to 400 yards away if I try to call on the same piece of land. Watch all around at all times, those dang things will sneak up on you before you know it from the opposite diection you think they will come from. It is always good to have a buddy so you have two pair of eyes looking in different directions. It is also funner to share a hunting experience with a buddy. Good luck!
Old 10-08-2003, 10:37 PM

what is the best time of day? do i need a rabbit decoy? i sure appreciate the feedback fellas.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:15 AM
Spike

a couple suggestions that will help...Randy Anderson has 2 awesome and very informative predator calling videos...Calling All Coyotes I and II.Even demonstrates how to use calls.I also bought a Featherflex rabbit decoy that works great.Definetly take a buddy for an extra pair of eyes.Have fun...
Old 10-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

early morning usually will be most productive, but they can be called any time of day. Do you need a decoy, no, will it or could it help, sometimes, maybe. I' ve never used a decoy of any kind, and can' t say that it has ever hurt my chance in killing a called in predator of any kind. I second the mothion in that you would be well served with one of Randy Andersons video' s or the Vermintaor video. Lots of stuff to learn from watching them.