Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Lobster Hunting in the Florida Keys....Key Largo specifically

Old 08-26-2014, 02:36 AM
Spike

Default Lobster Hunting in the Florida Keys....Key Largo specifically

It’s been back-to-back late summer trips with the kids with only hours between trips to write up reports. I’m catching back up now….. Unfortunately there are no underwater action photos this time as my 2 year old U/W camera flooded and I had to use the wifer’s land camera.

7/28 - 8/2This is our annual family get together and marks our 12th year in Key Largo. And our best one regarding lobster numbers.

Monday & Tuesday: Pre-scouting we hit our old numbers and then searched new areas finding additional spots. Afterword we prioritized our spots based on lobster coming up with a good plan for tomorrow’s opening morning.

Wednesday: Opening morning and we were out before sunrise as are a few other boats. Unlike previous years we did not have any huge “hotels” scooped out as in big numbers of bugs but we captured our 36 by 8:50 am. At one point I stopped lobstering and counted the boats I could see on the horizon…125! In the afternoon we went back out with the three girls who did not go out earlier and got another 18.

Sunrise

Zach who had never lobstered before quickly became a “Lobster Hoover”. Here’s his first bug.

Uncle Steve putting one in the boat….

Nicky with a double!

Daughter Kaitlyn

Quick group shot before getting more bugs
L to R: Kaitlyn, Uncle Steve, Nicky, Zach & Jason

Am storm but wasn’t too bad

Happiness is a 30 gallon live well full of lobsters…..

Banner year for bugs
L to R: Nicky, Kaitlyn me, Zach & Jason

Screaming Seamen” the second boat with our group

Thursday: Back at it but starting a bit later at 9 am. We hit our numbers previously scouted that only had ones and twos; finishing with 38 (8 divers).

Boys with a bag full

Daughter & I

PM storms
L to R: Uncle Steve, me, & Rich Wray

Reconfirming our count

Lobster duty…..

Friday: We spent the morning yellow tailing and the afternoon pole spearing for hogfish. Gotta love the Florida Keys!!

Results of the kids hogging with pole spears

With my having to leave for Canada w/Casey for a Boy Scout Northern Tier canoeing/fishing trip early Sunday morning we packed up the boat in the afternoon for heading back home on Saturday morning. Seemed like a quick trip but we had a TON of fun!

Hoo Yah!!

Brian
Old 08-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Really cool! Thanks for sharing.
-Jake