Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Killed my first rabbit, but...

Old 07-19-2014, 07:19 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Parasites probably taste alright too! Sure have eaten plenty on fish, but never even noticed them. In short, when you get a bunny, skin and gut right away. Cut up in pieces and rinse well. Place in in cold salt water overnight. Rinse again, dry off. Brown pieces in a hot frying pan and then bake at about 275 in a covered dish with cream of mushroom soup over the top (or whatever recipe). Getting the blood out is key and the rinsing and soaking will do this. And we have eaten summer "garden" bunnies with no problems or even a bad taste.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DJfan
I would have eaten it, too, but I get the "err on the side of caution" thing.

Rabbits are "ber" meat - only harvest them in months that end in "ber" September, October, November or December.

That's another real gem, as that leaves out the better months of Jan-March up north where most don't even starting hunting them until around the holidays, LOL!
Old 07-19-2014, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
That's another real gem, as that leaves out the better months of Jan-March up north where most don't even starting hunting them until around the holidays, LOL!
Funny. Different locations have different cute rhymes, I guess.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

What state has a rabbit season in June?
Old 08-11-2014, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some states consider them varmints. Like coyotes.
Here in WI, you can hunt snowshoe hares all year, with no daily bag limit.
But there is a distinct season on cottontails.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:09 AM
Banned

Those are dog tape worm eggs, they should be on the intestines as well. Not unusual to kill a rabbit that has them. They call them beads here in PA and the oldtimers would always say don't kill a rabbit until after a killing frost so they won't have beads. Not true but a good rural ledgend. Doesn't ruin the meat for eating but make sure your dog doesn't eat the entrails. If there are spots on the liver that look like cottage cheese, put the rabbit down a hole, do not touch the insides, it is tularemia (rabbit fever) and you can get it through cuts and scrapes on your hands. I also am curious what state has rabbit season open in June?
Old 08-11-2014, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

You probably won't get an answer to where he lives to haven taken the rabbit in June, as the OP hasn't even logged onto the site since he made his first two posts that day!
Old 08-13-2014, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

You probably won't get an answer to where he lives to haven taken the rabbit in June, as the OP hasn't even logged onto the site since he made his first two posts that day!
Just noticed that. I've always been jealous of states with early seasons. We have to wait until Oct. 3rd for deer and the middle of October for small game.

I probably wouldn't hunt in June, though. That's fishing time. But, sometime in late July, a switch flips in my head and I start looking forward to hunting.