Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

squirrel hunting with dogs?

Old 10-03-2013, 02:00 AM
Spike

Default squirrel hunting with dogs?

what breed would recommend for this. i want a breed that will hunt hard, stay treed but will follow the squirrel if it jumps a tree. also how do you recommend i train them? is a squirrel tube a good method?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

i gotta ask, why? squirrels spend most of their time in the tree. If you approach them most of them go into the trees to flee. Heck any dog would work for that purpose because any squirrel will automatically run up the tree. Im not sure if you would get a proper return on that investment.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by gabreal16
what breed would recommend for this. i want a breed that will hunt hard, stay treed but will follow the squirrel if it jumps a tree. also how do you recommend i train them? is a squirrel tube a good method?
Cant really answer your question but years ago i did get to witness a squirell dog in action and it was impresive. I believe it was some sort of small cur breed but I could be mistaken.

Last edited by grinder67; 10-03-2013 at 07:52 AM.