Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New guy from WA/AZ

Old 05-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Spike

Default New guy from WA/AZ

Hey guys I've read the forum for a while so I decided to join. I grew up in WA and I just moved to phoenix to attend school at Universal Technical Institute. I absolutely love coyote hunting so ive included a couple pictures of coyotes I have called in. I look forward to learning the techniques you guys use. Especially because I am new to AZ and almost all of my yote experience is hunting in the winter. I love everything to do with the outdoors. My name is Drew by the way. Look forward to getting to know all of you guys. Thanks
The first picture is my first coyote I called in with a mouth call. All I did was read the directions on the box and this guy came flying in. I was up on a cliff and he was in the canyon on the other side of a river. Very long shot. I didn't compensate for windage and I gut shot him. Not proud of that but he went down right away. Second picture is a pup I shot at the ranch I worked on in HS. That one is actually not a gut shot. That shot went in the front shoulder and out the back. 178gr A-max handload 30-06. Third picture is my gf on the left with a fat coyote I called in in about 30 seconds. My buddy jarret shot it at a dead run, right threw the lungs. Fourth picture is my wonderful girlfriend that is trying to spot yotes for me. Fourth picture actually has an awesome story behind it. I was in my HS parking lot with a buddy and we were discussing calls and I showed him a new howler I got. He immedietly decided to talk smack on it so I wanted to show him how it sounded. So I howled for about fifteen seconds and stopped. This guy came running through the parking lot within minutes with the hair on his back straight up. So we tried to catch him. I got a handful but he was able to get away. Ended up getting in a ton of trouble with the security guards at our school for that. But it was well worth it.
Attached Thumbnails New guy from WA/AZ-facebook_458956008-1-.jpg   New guy from WA/AZ-facebook_458982665.jpg   New guy from WA/AZ-facebook_1601981133.jpg   New guy from WA/AZ-facebook_1809229027.jpg   New guy from WA/AZ-imag0325.jpg  

Old 05-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Spike

Default A couple more

Heres a few more for you guys.
Attached Thumbnails New guy from WA/AZ-imag0325.jpg   New guy from WA/AZ-imag0639.jpg   New guy from WA/AZ-imag0643.jpg  
Old 05-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome Pictures,Great Stories....I'd say Your Definetly hooked on Coyote Hunting and got it bad!

Do You have any smaller Caliber Rifles than the 30-06....?I'm shooting a CZ .204 and a Savage .223 that's easier on the furs/hides and has much lighter recoil!
Old 05-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Spike

At this time all I have are my 30-06 and an 870 express mag. Ive been big into shooting my whole life. My dad taught me at a young age. But he hasn't been able to hunt since I was about ten (terrible knees) It hurts him just walking up stairs. So I was never really able to get into hunting. But when I was about 17 I decided I was going to get my hunting license and I was so excited about it I took my online safety course in one day. But I still didn't know what I was doing. Bought my first rifle right when I turned 18 and started killin coyotes on the ranch and I got hooked right away. I do plan on picking up a .223 as soon as I can save up the money. I could buy one now but im plagued with the "nice gun" disease and I wont settle. lol But ive got plans for one soon. When I can afford it. College sucks.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah,it's tough when Your first starting out Hunting and going to School at the same time...get Your Education first and You can afford any Gun/Rifle You want when You make more money!

I bought a Savage Axis XP Camo in .223 with the factory Bushnell 3x9x40mm scope,got the whole package deal for under $400.00,been using 55 grain Hornady V-max bullets that are easy on the fur and usually don't even pass thru but knock down a Coyote very well.

We've been using Mouth Calls the last 2 years,just bought a FP "Shockwave" and already called in a Coyote this morning but I was so shocked at how fast the Coyote responded that I rushed the shot and seemed to miss it?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Spike

Yeah I know how that feels. I went on a trip right before I left fpr school and i had a dog at about 40 yards before i had evengotten situated. So I rushed it and missed him. Everybody does that at least once. No matter what they say. Lol and my best friend had the axis in 22-250 and it shot awesome for how much it was. And i have considered it. But I'd prefer a heavy barreled gun. I really want either the mossberg mvp or the new howa targetmaster combo. But I've been leaning more toward a 700 the more i think about it. As soon as money permits ill be out trying to whack em here in AZ. Once i find places to hunt. I hear AZ has amazing coyote hunting compared to WA so im looking forward tp that. It's been driving me absolutely insane not being able to go put hunting or shooting every day
Old 05-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by drewdru1
...Everybody does that at least once. ...
Gotta disagree here...

Everybody does that, a lot more than just once. Hunt anything long enough and you'll have situations where the quarry catches you off guard, puts you on your heels, and you forget one fundamental or another and blow your shot. Coyote hunting especially, where you might take more shots in a single season than you would in a lifetime of big game hunting. $hit happens, the more trigger time you get, the less 'trigger panic' you'll be susceptible to.

As for your rifle desires, every young guy coyote hunter out there wants a heavy barrel, and every old coyote hunter carries a light barreled rifle. There's a reason for that. As a hunter, myself, that still carries 13, 17, even 20lb rifles into the field, you WILL regret it if that's your only rifle. Standard barrel rifles will shoot as well as needed to kill coyotes to 400yrds+, which is basically the max range of 22 centerfire cartridges like the .223rem, .22-250, etc anyway (connecting and DRT's at 600+ just get too 'iffy' with a 22cf, and most guys just don't shoot that well). I have dedicated calling rifles that are 17lbs, and a partner to it that is 9lbs. If I'm putting on a lot of sets in a day, the light barrel gets the nod. If you're looking for a rifle that will spend as much time on the bench as it will the field, then go ahead, but recognize you'll hate that heavy barrel at times in the field. If you don't shoot off a bench, a 22cf in a heavy barrel doesn't make much sense for a coyote hunter.

The Hornady SST and Interbond are a little nicer on coyote hides in the .30-06 as well, if you're interested in trying a new bullet for your 30cal.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Spike

I do agree with you on if your just using it as a dog gun you will hate it. I do have a few other reasons to want a heavy barrel. I shoot a TON. And I like squeezing the most accuracy i can out of every round. I spend a lot of time at the range also pushing myself to my limits on range. I like tospend a lot of time shooting so I would like a barrel that wont heat up so fast. My light barrel 06 heats up after about five rounds to the point my groups open up to 1-2 inches. And I'm young and in pretty decent shape. My 06 is roughly 13 pounds with optics and a bipod and it doesnt bother me.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Drewdru1....if You like a medium longer heavy barrel check out the CZ model 527 "Varmint" Rifle,it's a longer barreled Rifle and lightly heavier but not near as bad as most Bull Barrel Rifles and it's very accurate and has a set trigger that can simply be pushed forward for a lighter pull.I have one in the .204 and Love it!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Spike

I've looked at some cz rifles and I have heard nothing but good about them. But ive never actually looked at them. How hard is it to find stocks for them? How much do the 527 varmiters run?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.