Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Dog track question??

Old 06-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Spike

I did read a article about wolf and coyote cross breeds showing up a lot on the east coast could be a possibility

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 06-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

I am in Pennsylvania, and you see coyotes of every color. Supposedly, by the studies done, these coyotes are not related to the western coyote. They are usually quite large, but are not supposed to be crossed with dogs either. Every dead one I ever saw had yellow eyes, which kind of leaves out dogs.

A good sign between a dog and coyote tracks is the way they walk. A dog walks with staggered tracks. A fox and coyote has tracks almost in a straight line.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

"Hybrids" as everyone likes to say are extremely rare. This isn't something that happens a lot, typically only when coyotes and wolves of very young age's intermingle, which isn't very often.

Wolves and Coyotes are in the same family but are completely different species. Just because they can breed, doesn't meant they will. Dogs are descendants of Wolves and have no lineage from Coyotes... so that's have I justify shooting them.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Spike

I would say coyote. In my northern trapping area last season I saw a track about the size of my 70 lb Labrador. I knew no dogs were around and it had the straight line walk of a coyote. 2 nights later I caught a 62 lb male. It is probably a track from a large coyote like that one.