Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

17 hmr hornady 17g v-max

Old 02-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Spike

Default 17 hmr hornady 17g v-max

I am just shocked on how much damage these rounds do. Just tonight I sniped a rabbit at 60 yards in the head and here was just nothing left. I used these rounds for a while now but I'm still blown away on the amount of damage they can do.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you enjoy blowing rabbits up.....
-Jake
Old 02-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Spike

I don't enjoy blowing them up and I dont blow them up. I hunt them and them process them to eat them.

I use a varmit round and take well placed shot in the head so that none of the meat is ruined and the animal does not suffer.

Do you even know what a 17 hmr round is? It is tiny round and it is surprising what it can do.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have used the same round and my gun seems to like them.

However, for less meat damage try using the CCI hollow points (also 17gr.) - given that your gun likes them.

Enjoy and good hunting !
Old 02-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
what your seeing done to the rabbits head is what happens when a bullet turns to dust on impact, and on game that small it still gets enough penetration, once game gets above 10-15 pounds its not nearly as impressive.
RR
^^ Ditto.

I have a Taurus Tracker in .17HMR that I use for small game and predators and have used the Hornady Vmax quite a bit (one of the only loads that's available at EVERY store).

A 50yrd head shot on a rabbit is a headless rabbit. A 50yrd head shot on a coyote is a dead coyote with a 17cal hole in it's head and scrambled brains.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by patman75
I am just shocked on how much damage these rounds do. Just tonight I sniped a rabbit at 60 yards in the head and here was just nothing left. I used these rounds for a while now but I'm still blown away on the amount of damage they can do.
Lol, Yes. I do know what it is Patman. But your "and here was just nothing left." Statement was rather contradicting to your "I hunt them and them process them to eat them." statement. If you're blowing them all apart and there's nothing left... must be good eating!
-Jake
Old 02-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Lol, Yes. I do know what it is Patman. But your "and here was just nothing left." Statement was rather contradicting to your "I hunt them and them process them to eat them." statement. If you're blowing them all apart and there's nothing left... must be good eating!
-Jake
If you know what a 17 hmr round is why would you think a head shot would blow the whole rabbit up?

There was nothing left of its head. Take a look at the pics and tell me if it looks like I blew up the whole rabbit. It looks to me that it is only missing a head.

This is a hunting forum? Not some thrill kill forum is it? Or maybe you are just trolling for a reaction.
Attached Thumbnails 17 hmr hornady 17g v-max-rabbit1.jpg   17 hmr hornady 17g v-max-rabbit2.jpg  
Old 02-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Spike

Thank you Sheridan, Ridge Runner and Nomercy448 for your helpful input. I will try some CCI when I run out of the Hornady. I did try using some Hornady 20g. I had read they where better for small game because they dont frag and there was less meat damage. However they did not seem as accurate or more like they dont shoot as flat as the 17g.

Ridgerunner and Nomercy, I was thinking about how good the V-max rounds would be if I ever ran into a yote while hunting. It sounds like I would need get him in close. So 100+ yard shot would not have enough energy to kill a yote?

Thanks again for the helpful feedback.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

i havent gotten to take anything with my 17, but i love how accurate it is....got the savage with the accutrigger....shootin off a rest i can cover 5 shots with a dime at 50 yards
Old 02-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

You're a fiesty fella aren't you Patman. Take a deep breath, no one's out to get ya buddy.
-Jake

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.