Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

PA Fox?

Old 12-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA Fox?

Hey Guys,

I live in a county where I am not allowed to shoot any rifle larger than a .22 (and it has to be bolt action)

I currently already own a 12 gauge shotgun for turkey hunting, but was looking to get something for squirrels in the area as we have tons. I noticed during archery season that I have quit a few fox running around the property and was wonder if I should take my 12 gauge out after them, or if a well placed shot at about 30 yards with the .22lr be good enough? I would want to get the hide tanned so I am not wanting to cause to much damage to them. I also do not want to injure and animal because I took out the wrong type of weapon. I am just afraid the 12 gauge would be to much.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

in ny u can hunt predators with anything i think dont quote me but 22LR hollow points will do the job
Old 12-24-2010, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have killed several foxes with a .22 LR. Foxes are not tough like a groundhog is and any .22 bullet do the job is the range is reasonable (50 yards or less). Hollowpoints and high velocity rounds are not necessary. I usually shoot standard velocity target rounds through my .22 and it works fine.

Recently I did shoot a fox with a big rifle (a .375 Ruger), and it worked well also.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey bud,
I've shot around 100 personally and between the 5 man crew I hunt with we've probablly got close to 800 foxes. I'd say 90% were shot with a 12 gague shooting 3.5" mags. Go for gold buddy. Get out there and lay em down. Check out the predator hunting forums over at hunting pa there's a ton of guys from your area also.

Ryan.