Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

1st time coyote hunter

Old 01-26-2002, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 1st time coyote hunter

i am 15 and i have never coyote hunted. i am going to try this february during the season. we have seen them a couple times and there isnt alot of them in jersey i want to know what i need to hunt them. any opinions will be accepted. i want to use mouth calls not tapes. thanx
Old 01-26-2002, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1st time coyote hunter

also, would a 12 gauge with a 3 1/2" chamber be alright for a yote? here in jersey we cant use rifles
Old 01-26-2002, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

also, would a 12 gauge with a 3 1/2" chamber be alright for a yote? here in jersey we cant use rifles
Old 01-26-2002, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

hmmm id say call em...i duno how this is done or nething i dont hunt em myself...and suno ur laws...and a 3 1/2 mag should work jsut kno ur range...

mauser06
Old 01-26-2002, 10:36 PM

That shotgun will work just fine. Keep your shots within the limits of the shell. Load with #4 buck. Pretty much take your pick of mouth calls. Many hunters have their favorites but pretty much all of them will work at least some of the time. I don't know of anything that works all the time.
Old 01-27-2002, 06:05 AM
Typical Buck

he 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge is more then enough.the only draw back to using a shotgun is you need to get them in close,this can be diffacult at times.your ability in concealment and being able to sit motionless have to be masterd or they will never get in close enough.as far as hand calls go,any of the calls made today are of top quality and will call in predators.its just a matter of finding the one(s)that your comfortable with and that work for you.you should buy one of each kind,open reed-closed reed and variable pitch,master each one.then decide witch ones you like and go from there.remember,open reed are more versital and don't freeze up but are harder to use.closed and variable are easyer to use but will and do freeze up in cold weather.no matter what make and kind of calls you use,master them.practice,practice,practice and then practice some more.improperly blown mouth calls will educate coyotes faster then any thing,learn to use the well.also check your regulations before doing anything.there maybe a limit on the size of shot you use in your shotgun,there is in n.y.call your game department and get the straight scoop,you don't want to be in violation of any laws.good luck.
Old 01-27-2002, 01:01 PM

Bowhunting them is exciting too. The gauge will do just fine. Good Luck.