Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New member! Help picking some nice, quality handmade yote and crow calls

Old 03-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Spike

Default New member! Help picking some nice, quality handmade yote and crow calls

Been reading around here for a while and thought I would join so I could participate. Hoping for some help here.

I would like to try using some mouth calls. I just like the idea of the atural, rustic feel of using a hand calls and it sounds fun to practice.

I would like some good brand names of makers that make a real nice rabbit or something for coyote. Also, it sounds fun to find a real nice crow call. They have so many voices it might be cool to practice. Looking for something that is nice to look at at well. don't mind the price.

I don't neccessarily want the EASIEST. I would like something that takes a little practice, but yields good results. I would like something that is pretty, made of nice looking materials, not just a good value for the money. I want something I could be proud of. Some nice glass and workmanship or wood or something. Any ideas? Thanks all.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

Anything Primos works good.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
Anything Primos works good.
There is absolutely nothing handmade or custom about Primos. Go to any of the predator forums and scroll down to custom and handmade calls. They are generally not much more money than plastic chinese made ones but have alot more character.
I have several friends that make calls and can hook you right up. Can't post them because I'm not advertising for them but I can pm you some connections.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Spike

skb2706. Pm would be great. Much appreciated.

Nothing against the Primos stuff and I might look into them, but I just kind of like the custom stuff. Same with fishing crankbaits and such.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to HNI. This forum can be a vast source of information. As to your calls, go on ebay and look up custom calls in hunting, I got a brand new howler and distress call in handturned cocoblol for 10 dollars there are many small time call makers that make great looking and sounding calls.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by skb2706
There is absolutely nothing handmade or custom about Primos. Go to any of the predator forums and scroll down to custom and handmade calls. They are generally not much more money than plastic chinese made ones but have alot more character.
I have several friends that make calls and can hook you right up. Can't post them because I'm not advertising for them but I can pm you some connections.
hey skb, don't think any harm was intended here man. pretty sure genisis was just suggesting some mouthcalls, not intending to consider them to be handmade or custom. and what's wrong with buying a plastic call anyways? most custom calls i know are up to $40-$50. nothing wrong with spending half of that from an american trustworthy company like primos. i use nothing BUT their calls and it's still traditional using hand calls over electronic calls, regardless of how it's made. if you're looking for as handmade and custom as it gets, then that's making it yourself. otherwise any hand call you buy is about the same.

i'd personally rather suggest a hunter wanting to start mouthcalling to go with a trustworthy factory-made handcall for a fraction of the price of a custom handmade call. once you get better, spend the extra buck on a nicer handcall. just my opinion
Old 03-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hope this helps

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/

BTW - thoughtful post Widgeonator !
Old 03-10-2010, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE][hey skb, don't think any harm was intended here man. pretty sure genisis was just suggesting some mouthcalls, not intending to consider them to be handmade or custom. and what's wrong with buying a plastic call anyways? most custom calls i know are up to $40-$50. nothing wrong with spending half of that from an american trustworthy company like primos. i use nothing BUT their calls and it's still traditional using hand calls over electronic calls, regardless of how it's made. if you're looking for as handmade and custom as it gets, then that's making it yourself. otherwise any hand call you buy is about the same.

i'd personally rather suggest a hunter wanting to start mouthcalling to go with a trustworthy factory-made handcall for a fraction of the price of a custom handmade call. once you get better, spend the extra buck on a nicer handcall. just my opinion /QUOTE] Since the OP asked about "custom" and the fact that he didn't mind paying a little extra, why mention cheap? And obviously you haven't used a whole lot of hand calls to say that they're "all about the same", when in fact it's not true. You can buy some pretty dang nice custom calls for less than $20. and along with that get customer service above and beyond any store bought call. Custom call makers will voice thier calls to your liking, how many store bought calls have that service. Store bought call breaks, lucky to get your money back. Custom call breaks, and you can bet you'll get a replacement or fix for nothin'. Surwe you can find some custom calls that might cost over $100., depending on the material and how much time is in making the call, but lot's of them that are made out of quality wood with excellent fit and finish along with customer preffered voice, you get what you pay for.
Custom compared to store bought, not even a comparison.
You can find lots and lots of custom calls in the custom call forums on several different predator forums.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I havea small collection of handmade calls, actual custom jobs made by friends that I know I didn't give more than $20 each for. In fact some I traded nice blocks of wood for finished calls.

A bucket of molten green plastic doesn't trade well around here.

Will send a pm with some custom call makers to the OP.

Last edited by skb2706; 03-10-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every varmint hunter should have the Tally Ho call.I'm just using a diaphragm call and Lohman's howler now but I ordered the TH.