Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Calls

Old 02-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Spike

Default Calls

Has anyone ever made their own calls, if so what are some tips.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've made a lot of my own calls, and made calls to sell also.

If you already have a few store bought calls, look at each of them and take each feature that you like the most from them, and make your own call using sperate features of the store bought calls.
For instance, one call might have a certain length open read mouth piece, and yet another is shorter or longer, but one of them is your favorite, so go with the one that you like the most.
Maybe one of them has a steeper pitch/bridge on the mouth piece and seems to work better for you, so use that as a guide for building your own.

I used a dremel tool to make most of the calls I've made. Along with a hand drill, a 4" hand grinder with flap disc. I've made calls from antler, cow horn, and wood.