Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Rabbit with Pellet gun

Old 01-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Spike

Default Rabbit with Pellet gun

im 14 years old and i only bow hunt whitetail deer but would like to get into some small game hunting and this is my first year hunting and i got my first deer back in novemeber but anyway i would like to try some rabbit hunting but i dont not own and guns and do not have the money for like a shotgun or .22. All i have to hunt them with is a Pellet gun that has a dot scope on it but i wont be using dogs i will try and shake bushes and stuff with my feet but would a pellet gun be hard to use if ur jumping them like that and they run out fast. Could anyone give me any pointers i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of pellet gun do ya have?I always walk old loggin roads and the edges of green fields with my 17 HMR,ive dun good huntin um that way.U could git a Mossberg 702(22 LR)for $100-$110.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Banned

Pellets are too small for rabbits..work ok close up on squirrels, but be ethical.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Thirty-four years ago I hunted rabbits out on Long Island, NY with a Crosman .22 pump up pistol. The pistol was only supposed to be pumped up ten pumps max. I pumped it up to twenty (and blew the seals after a short time) but while it worked, it was powerful. Took eight rabbits with nine shots at distances of 10 to 25 yards.
A realistic concern in this day and age is legality. In a lot of states, hunting with and airgun is illegal. Check yours. You wouldn't want to run into a game warden carrying illegal dead bunnies.
Pete
Old 01-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Spike

A pellet gun will kill a rabbit if you can get fairly close.I personally have killed a rabbit throwing a rock. There not a tuff animal.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go by those bushes early in the morning and just before dark and walk along quitely and very slowly and wait for them to come out and stop.

Sneak up on them; get as close as you can before they run away, and shoot them in the head.

If your pellet gun is strong enough it should kill them (what kind of pellet gun do you have ?).

Then, skin him out and stretch the pelt over a canoe paddle and salt or borax the skin (let dry).

Rabbits are good eating and can be cooked many different ways.

Tell us how it works out..........................

Last edited by Sheridan; 01-05-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first bb gun was the Red Rider. LOL! Many of here remember them well. When shooting red squirrels, if you can hit them 4,5,6 times or more, you might get one to fall.

Then I upgraded to a Daisy 880 ten pump bb/pellet gun. Now this gun is an absolute killer if you want it to be. I've killed many birds, chipmunks, squirrels, ducks, some grouse and rabbit with it. I love them. Even Walmart sells it now. It goes for around $40-$45. It shoots bb's and .177 caliber pellets. If you want accuracy, always go with the pellets.

Shoot for the head and only take shots you know you can hit. I recommend staying anywhere from 5 to 15 yards for your shots. Rabbits usually stay tucked to tight cover, so if you walk along slowly, you can often see them first and maneuver yourself for a shot. The body shot is deadly too, but they'll run and sometimes make it for cover that you'll have to dig them out of.

This 880 is about the minimum you want to use for rabbits. I recommend something a little more powerful, but then again, we're talking more money.

Good luck,

iSnipe