Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

how long do you wait??

Old 02-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Spike

Default how long do you wait??

I have coyote hunted since I was in grad school and old enough to carry a gun. A: it was a way to get me out of the house. B: it was a way to hunt a little longer, so over the years I have gotten impatient and more patiente and never really timed my self until this year when I started shooting dogs in OK I noticed that they come in a little slower around the cities and a lot faster out about an hour... near the city the last yote I shot it was an hour and a half, after my last call and in the country, I only wait about 20 to 30 minuets.... So how long do all of you wait????
Old 02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how long do you wait??

rarely over 15 minutes!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

It wasn't until recently that I purchased a wrist watch so that I could time how long I called at a spot. Everytime that I had the watch with me, it seemed like I had a coyote show up within a few minutes. The times that I forgot to take the watch with me, it either felt like a long time or I got tired of sitting in that spot and gave up (what felt to me as being) too soon.

Last weekend I had the watch with me. I called one spot for 15 minutes and was done with it. But, I decided to just lay back and enjoy a smoke. About half way though the cig a coyote showed up.

About a month ago I called for over an hour at night to finally get a set of eyes close enough to see what it was. When I finally determined it was a bobcat, I didn't want to shoot it with my .243 and blow it up so I spent another 30 minutes or so trying to get it into shotgun range.

There will be times that calling longer is needed. I would have to say that 95% of my sets don't last more than 15 minutes though.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Spike

with all the people that hunt yotes no else but us notices how long we wait....
thanks for the input fellas...great to know I wait way long..
Old 02-22-2009, 02:47 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

depends on the spot for me. If it is a more suburban location, no more than 20 minutes. If it's a big rural farm, 1/2 hour minimum
Old 02-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

30 + min....i've called them in as late as 45 min into a setup

DP