Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Cougars in new york State??????

Old 02-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cougars in new york State??????

i was just snoopin around about the cougar thingon the new york dec website and there have been sitings but not confirmed evidence so if a cougar that was say 7 - 9 feet long the stride would be fairly large so it would be distinct from any look alike track right?
Old 02-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

The stride and the lack of toenails is the best indicator. However a large dog can easily be confused with it.

Their are several good sites to check out. One is "How did the couger get to Chicago"
Old 02-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

cause i kno with large dogs you can plainly see the toenails and with cats the nails are retractable but i will keep looking around and hopefully get a picture of the cat or see it in person but do you think it would it be a good idea to put maybe a carcass of a dead like rabbit or something in front of the camera to maybe lure the animal in front of the camera cause i kno that there are a large amount of deer that move along this trail and in the area so what do you think i should do?
Old 02-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

I'd say your best bet would be to put your camera on the same trail it was using. They prefer fresh kills, so i would'nt bother trying any bait. Its likely they are on the prowl for a mate, covering unbelievable miles.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

ok thanks for your help i will post up the pictures if i get them and any new tracks that i find

Old 02-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

its hard to tell without something beside for a size reference... but it looks like a frozen yote track to me.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Coyote tracks aren't usually that long. Cougar tracks can be over 4" and then 4 defined toes with the rounded pad are indicative of a cougar. I think it certainly could be, its hard to tell in the pic. Its also more pointed then a wolf track...looks like you could have one hangin' around.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

The track looks like it is melted out. A for sure way to tell is if there are toe nails in the track If there a nails it isnt a cat also a cat track is round. I live in Illinois and found a track this winter but I am not sure because it was a little melted out and I am having trouble believing that there are cats in Illinois. However a male will travel a very big range
Old 02-19-2009, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

here is the track that is a 3 1/4"long 25-06 shell in the track
Old 02-19-2009, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

buffhntr,
I was unable to view your photo, my computer I think. I always doubted mountain lions existed anywhere other than out west. That is until I experienced undeniable evidence that one definitely visited my area.It involved cattle and it is still being pieced together. One thing I have learned is they are travelers, more than any other animal I know of. And they are rarely seen even in areas that have a good population. Alot of people will not tolerate this subject, and I understand that fully, I was of the same opinion until it was evidence that proved me wrong.

Thanks for sharing what you found

Quick Reply: Cougars in new york State??????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.