Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

first season hunting got alot of squirrel ?

Old 01-20-2009, 04:11 PM

Default first season hunting got alot of squirrel ?

okay it's my first season hunting. I went once when I was 12 with my dad, but he never had time to take me again. So 10 years later now that i can my self and have time thought I might give it a try again. Thought I might try squirrel hunting to start small , but apparently I suck at it. I've bin out for a week and only seen 2. I have several questions. I live in south eastern pa by the way. anyway my questions are,
what temperature do they come out or stay in? it's bin around 20f
do they like open ground or thorns and brush like rabbits do?
does it matter if the ground is flat or on a hill?
does camo or outlines matter?
what signs should i be looking for?
are corn fields a great place to look?
what time of day? i've bin out from dusk to dawn scatter on different days

okay sorry, i have no idea what I'm doing. any help in general would be great. O tips on maybe rabbit hunting if it can be done with only one person. thanks

Old 01-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: first season hunting got alot of squirrel ?

Welcome to squirrel hunting. I'm also from that region. Temperatures shouldn't play a big role unless its bitterly cold and windy then theywill stay denned up. Terrain flat or hill makes no difference, found on both. Camo can be a great help. I found in archery when dressed in camo I can have squirrels within a couple feet unaware of me, but if I go out in jeans and orange vest they will pick me out alot easier. They tend to feed out in the open. Hunting the edges of corn fields can be very productive if there is still corn present. Not much sign to look for other than tracks in the snow, den holes in trees, or leaf nests in trees. Sunny days early in the morning with light windsoffer the most action for me. Hope this can help you become successful. Good luck.