Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote decoy positioning

Old 01-07-2009, 10:12 AM

Default Coyote decoy positioning

I just got a coyote decoy and am not sure how to position it in relation to my quivering rabbit and myself. Should the decoy right next to the rabbit or a distance away? Any tips?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coyote decoy positioning

I am afraid to use a coyote decoy. Most people in my area have the theory that a coyote is a varmint, so they don't have to have permission from landowners to pursue them, and also they believe that if you can see it, it is in range. Be careful using a coyote decoy.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

What nick said is true, ....be aware if the decoy is visible to other hunters.

With that said, using a coyote decoy for coyotes is relatively new. From what I've read and heard is that most coyotes will either stop as soon as they see it, or they will begin the downwind swing. SO, if that's the case, you'd need to set up accordingly.

I also have a coyote decoy and will be using it more soon. I plan on using it more during the mating season, and use it more with coyote vocals. I live in wide open country, with great distance from roads. It'll be interesting to see what reactions I get.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

I use coyote decoys, only in Jan. Feb., and March. If you can still make a good set up, it works best set way up wind. They won't always come in down wind from the decoy, but it is your best bet. I always try to have the decoy looking away from your location, for obvious reasons. Like howler said, coyote vocals work well with a decoy. If you see two dogs, always give them a challenge howl, always, even if it turns out to be two females they will still be curious to see what is doing. The best place to put a decoy, if you can is a round bail, I've found anyway, even if you have to change up your set up a bit.

Good luck
Old 01-08-2009, 07:49 AM

Almost sounds like a decoy could do more harm than good, perhaps they might be intimidated?

Maybe save it for the mating season? Can you buycoyote in heat scentlike you can doe in heat?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I think if you use the wrong decoy.... possibley...

I have had great luck with them, Exspecially the Flambeau Lone Howler...

It has a timid look, almost "whimpy", and just prime territory for a good "arse stomping", I like to take the decoy, and get a good distance from it... around 50 yards, if you have good visibility... and put the decoy where the coyotes can see it real easy... like on a snow drift, a dirt spot, somewhere it will stand out...

Just my oppinions,

But oppionis are like elbows , everyone has some...

Mike
Pure Predator Custom Calls
www.purepredator.com

Old 01-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Almost sounds like a decoy could do more harm than good, perhaps they might be intimidated?

Maybe save it for the mating season? Can you buycoyote in heat scentlike you can doe in heat?
Well, having a coyote standing around can be a good thing, as long as you're not holding a shotgun and wanting close action. I'd compare the decoy like a buck decoy used during deer hunting. You just never no what the response will be. Aggressive, timid, scared, cautious, etc. Use it and let us know the results. Learn and share the info.

Using any scents to hunt coyotes is an iffy propostion, IMO. Can you keep your decoy scent free enough that a coyote won't smell YOU and any scent that you add to it? A coyotes nose is just so good, that short of misting, I don't know that it's worth the hassle. In case you don't know, for misting to be effective, the mist needs to be costantly put in the air, to even have a chance at confusing the coyote at all. Basically over loading the coyotes scense of smell, to the point that it can't pick you out of all the other smell that is making it into his nose.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: cwenisch

Well bud, thats why I use them in Jan. Feb. , and March. only with coyote vocals. It may intimidate them a bit, but the coyote is just curious enough that you can often gain the upper hand, just by keeping his attention a bit longer, or not paying attention to your position.