Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Tree stands for Coyotes

Old 04-09-2003, 07:13 AM

Default Tree stands for Coyotes

Recently I was involved in a coversation regarding hunting coyotes from a treestand here in Illinois. During it, I mentioned that I read somewhere in the law that it is illegal to shoot furbearing animals from a tree stand. I was told that wasnt the case, but I did some looking.
520 ILCS 5/2.33(aa) states that it is unlawful to use any tree climbing device in taking furbearing animals.
I posted this question to the DNR via email (from there website) and was told that there is not a definitive answer to my question. Although the orginal intent of the law was likely NOT to prevent taking coyotes from treestands, the development of CLIMBING STANDS could fall into this area. I was told that this question would be forwarded to review committee for a decision.

My point of this post is to make IL hunters aware of this gray area.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:55 PM

Default RE: Tree stands for Coyotes

Im sure this law was made to prevent people from useing climbing spike shoes or laders to climb a den tree or other tree that has a fur bearer already in it. Not to stop people from climbing trees and shoting furberers on the ground. I used to live in IL and Im pretty sure coyotes are preditors and not furberers since you can hunt them year round.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:16 PM

Default RE: Tree stands for Coyotes

I had posted this info on a couple of other spots too and I think that in general you are right. I guess that used to be common, as was cutting down a tree to retrieve a killed animal.
I double checked the book, and coyotes are listed under furbearing mammals.
Again, I agree that this wasnt the intent of the law. However, a climber tree stand could be called a tree climbing device and given the right situation at the " wrong" moment and one could have a problem.
I doubt it has happened, and I doubt it will. But, stranger things have happened.
Woody