Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Anybody know what kind of Coyote call works?

Old 10-23-2008, 06:58 PM

Default Anybody know what kind of Coyote call works?

I've recently started coyote hunting...and love it. However, I havent shot any yet...I've called in two but was totally caught off gaurd and didn't get a shot...I was wondering if anybody knew of any good calls that they would like to recommend to me. Thanks
Old 10-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anybody know what kind of Coyote call works?

Any call that makes a distress sound can work on any given day,but sometimes it wont work no matter what the sound.There are many good mouth calls,a closed reed call is the easiest to use just blow in them and make the waa waa waa sound and try to sound very pittiful and in pain.If you want an E-caller youll spend some more money.I killed my first coyote using a johnny stewart PC-1,I think,anyway it was a closed reed call that made a rabbit sound,that was 11 years ago and many coyotes ago.I now use the primo's hot dog and a foxproFX-3,there are many good calls that work,I have called in coyotes with a diaphram turkey call,trust me if you see a coyote hunting or if one is near enough to hear your calls if you sound in distress they will come,but if you move,or leave any scent in the area that he can smell before you see him,or he see's you first you probably will never know he was there.Where is your location,here in KY they always just appear out ofthe brush,or a fence row or any where and suprise you,so be ready as soon as you make a sound.GOOD LUCK!!
Old 10-24-2008, 12:02 PM

Im hunting in Wisconsin...Up north in Florence. Got 40 acres up there
Old 10-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Spike

I use the Primos Randy Johnson Ki-Yi and Hot Dog. I also use a custom wood call my uncle made that is a little quieter than the Ki-Yi and is a closed reed.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

"Here coyoteee, here coyoteee!" Just yelling that really loud works for me.

Sounds like you have the right caller already. Whatever you used to get the two in that caught you of gaurd, just keeping using. Try calling from a spot that will give you thebest view of the area and be prepared.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

The best call is the one that gets you to your calling site undetected, it masks your scent, it makes sure that the coyotes are in the area your going to call, they it lets you see them before they see you.... I havent found one of those yet.....

Dont be fooled by the Predator Hunting Videos, you just dont plop down anywhere and coyotes come out of the woods... The biggest thing is being where they are... and I myself hunt the midwest... we have it alot tougher than our western friends do in my oppionion... We have less coyotes spread a whole lot thinner... Just keep at it... Lots of Scouting helps...

Keep calling.... You gonna have to call at alot of ground to get consistant results.

MIke
www.purepredator.com

Old 10-27-2008, 05:50 PM

If you're hunting solely on your 40 acres, you're going to probably have to change up your distress calls. The two coyotes you've already called in probably won't come in very eargerly to the same call now that they've busted you. Try distress calls from animals that aren't even in the area. Electronic calls are nice for this reason because you find a wider veriety of distress calls. It's a blast, I live in Marquette and coyotes are thick in the U.P., just very little open ground to call over like western hunters have. If midwest coyotes were easy to call in you'd see more midwest coyote videos.