Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Girl Friend wants to go squirrel hunting

Old 08-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default Girl Friend wants to go squirrel hunting

I took my girl friend shooting last fall and she's been bugging me since to go again. We're suppose to go this weekend and shoot afew of my bigger rifles to make sure they're on and then we're gonna do some other clays with the shot gun. Well last night, I'm eating dinner with her and her family and she mentions that she had found out it was squirrel season and that she wanted to go this weekend. So I agreed that we could do that. Her father then spoke up and said that afew years ago he had bought a nice little 20 ga. sXs (Turned out to be a savage 311 and in good shape) and that she needed to take that. Ok, here is the dilema. She can handle my coyote rifle pretty well (chambered 357 mag) but I have a stoger side by side 12 ga that she shot twice and didn't want to touch it any more after that. So the way I see it is that I havefour options.

1. Put a recoil pad on the 20 ga. that her father gave her and hope it doesn't thump her too much (keep in mind that I've nevereven heard of this gun before last night so I've no idea what cylinders are in it. I'm thinking probablyModified and improvedcylinders.)
2. Let her use my marlin 22 which is right on and my favorite squirrel gun and then I'll just back her up with the 20 ga.
3. Let heruse the 357 but put 38 sp in it so that there is some of the squirrel left when she hits it
4. Let her useone of my 12 ga with somecut down loads. Sure its abigger gun but they're also heavier and have better recoil pads and atleast I know how they're gonna shoot.

Bottom line I'll probably explore all three options on friday evening with her when go shooting before we go into the woods on saturday or sunday morning. I just wanted someopinions as toyou guys thought.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Girl Friend wants to go squirrel hunting

I did forget to mention that she actually is a pretty good shot but she's just not experienced.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:07 PM

Start with putting a good recoil pad on first i know girls that wont shoot 12 but will shoot 20 u know they dont pack the bigger kick. Or just go with the .22hardly not kick at all with them if you want to be on the safe side.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

Find out if she doesn't mind some recoil. Some women shy away from recoil and it can ruin their experience, but some enjoy the full power loads just like the guys. I've taken women shooting with my .357 thinking I would use .38's but had them end up wanting to shoot all my .357 rounds instead.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd let her use the marlin 22. Less noise and no recoil will make a better early hunting experience!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:42 PM

use 22 and back her up
Old 08-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

Take her out to kill some paper with the .20 gauge after the hunt when her confidence is high.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

83- I would let her take the 20 gauge less kick , it's a shame you don't own a 410 pump or bolt action that would fit her just right.I'm 50 years old and i been useing my 410 bolt action since i was 16 take it squrriel hunting and rabbit also would trade it for any other gun to go hunting with.I forgot to metion i use 3' shells 6 shot for squrriels and 7 and a half for rabbits.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Howler

I'd let her use the marlin 22. Less noise and no recoil will make a better early hunting experience!
Couldn't agree more

Old 08-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldnt let her use the 20 gauge. some old 20 gauge kick harder than most 12. I shoot competition skeet, trap, and 5-stand and ive seen a 20 gauge pump put some nasty bruises on a kids shoulder so i would go with the 22

Quick Reply: Girl Friend wants to go squirrel hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.