Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Hunting yotes at night?

Old 03-04-2003, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting yotes at night?

I have read that hunting them at night is better. I can hunt them at night legaly. Just wondering what is the best method to use?

Also can you bait in a yote? If so what is the best way to do this???
Old 03-06-2003, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting yotes at night?

I used to do a lot of hunting them at night, and whenever I' m gonna visit a state that it' s legal in, I' ll buy my license and get hunting, because there just isn' t much better!!

FOR EXAMPLE: one night I was layin on the " spud" of a round bale line (the last bale rolled so it' s a bit smaller than the rest) had a blanket over me so in the moonlight it looked like a straight line of bales. I had my caller out on the other end of the line, and my shotgun under me, I knew I didn' t need a light...while later I feel this tuggin on my ankle cuff, I turn real slow to look over my shoulder, figurin my huntin buddy had come over to see if we were gonna move somewhere else, then I remembered, he was set up on the other side of the line, rolled over real quick an shot the coyote that was nibblin on the deer blood that had gotten on my overalls earlier that day!!!!!

Best way I used to set up in a beef pit, there' s a lot of em round here, it' s where they dump all the cattle that die on their farms, ya set up in there and don' t call a bit, they almost always come in anyway, you' d just scare them off with a call. If you don' t have a pit like that, you can go rabbit hunting, and collect all the guts and set them out around your calling area, so they have some smell to go on.

It works so much better at night because they know you can' t see them, so they aren' t really worried about you, in the day, they know you have the upperhand, so they are very wary, but at night, you can get them right up on you....I know this for a fact, because the account above was FAR from my closest encounter!! I' ve had one shot off my back before when we were set up on a ridge laying prone looking off the bluff, my dad had one lick his ear once when we were in a grassland ambush set up. They reall just aren' t too worried about people at night.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:20 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting yotes at night?

read all about it here...

http://lewand.tripod.com/barkmoon.html