Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

pedator hunting is it ethical

Old 02-15-2003, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: pedator hunting is it ethical

hmmmmm,thats interesting.i have never heard of the general hunting population to be required to leave anything lay.now some states required any body involved in ADC work to leave what ever predators they shoot lay but not the average hunter.as trapper dave said WHY!!!
Old 02-16-2003, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

In Delaware if yiu shoot a fox , you must leave it , you cant pick it up. Apparently it was set up to differentiate between predator hunting and fur taking.And there are only certain areas where shooting a fox is legal. We had and have a strong lobby for foxchasing, with the duPonts and all it was years beforeyou could kill a fox, because they enjpoyed chasing them on horsebackwith all the fanfare of the horses and hounds, I am sure you;ve seen the pictures.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Ummmmmmmmmmm. IMO IF such a rule exists in Del. I wouldn' t shoot any fox. This is a noble animal and they keep rabbit pops in check. If you want to keep rabbit pops up I suggest you begin shooting GH Owls as they impact the rabbit pops more than fox.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK 1, that is one screwed up rule that Delaware has. 2 shooting a fox in summer and letting it lay is just wrong. Maryland has to have a season on them and I' m guessing it don' t run thru the summer. Hunt them in the winter and use the fur. If you want to shoot things in the summer shoot groundhogs.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a difference in " hunting" and wildlife managment. Usually they both meld together, but they are seperate things.

Hunting is recreational and mostly done for personal enjoyment or satifaction. So unless you are one sick person, you would not shoot something just for entertainment or for the heck of it and then leave it lay.

Wildlife managment is self explanitory. Managing wildlife. This includes population. Keeping animal populations balanced (not just " in check" ). If a particular preditor population is out of balance, then strictly from a managment standpoint, killing that animal and not using it is up to the person who killed it. An exterminator is a type of wildlife manager. He keeps bug populations to an exceptable level. He also does not keep the roaches or mount the big ones.

Now, most people here are not just wildlife managers (that is only a by-product of what we do). We are hunters. This means that we hunt mainly for recreation. By this we are held to personal ethics and state laws. Just like in baseball you must play by the rules and players held to a personal code of ethics. That is why we were brought up with the " if you kill it you have to use it" statement.

Like I said, from a managent standpoint, killing it and not using it is ok. But if you are a hunter, harvesting an animal and not using it is unethical to me. But this is all not black and white. That is why it is up to the individual to decide what is ethical for himself. Just like it is up to the individual to decide what a trophy is to himself.

That' s my view of it anyway.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting them is one thing, but blatant waste like that' s not right. If you' re going to shoot them, do something with them, it takes NO TIME at all to skin a fox or yote, if you case skin them, it would take you less than an hour to make a hand warmer, tan them and cut the legs off, sew the leg holes shut, then get some sort of warm filler, for foxes, you' d need two of them, yotes usually one, take the two fox hides, get them so you can slip one hide inside the other, with the fur-sides together, then stitch up the one end and all but about a quarter of the other end, flip it inside out so the fur' s out now (on the outside and inside of the muff) then start packin in filler, and stitch up the rest of it. Sew on a belt an ya got something to keep your hands warm while in the stand or blind next time. If nothing else, you can make a couple bucks on it selling them too, and they make good gifts for hunting buddies.

Be creative, you' d be amazed what you can cook up to make out of their hides, just to get them used up, heck, you can sell jacket skinned pelts for wall hangings and such for good prices even. Just don' t go leaving it in the field, it' s not hunting then, just killing, and there' s nothing ethical or excusable about that.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

Well Kodiak, Nomercy, you' ns are entitled; but I' ll disagree. In some situations I don' t see anything wrong with shootin and leavin lay, dependin on what it is. If it' s edible, use it. However, who' s going to eat a coyote? For people who lose money to coyotes eatin their livestock and such, killin and leavin it lay isn' t a matter of killin for the fun of killin. It' s a matter of holdin your own. It' s something that needs to be done. If I saw some wild dogs runnin around on my property, I ain' t about to eat ' em, but I ain' t about to let ' em run around either. I sure ain' t wastin time with their hide so I can have the humane society or whatever knockin on my door for shootin some wild german shepherd. I also take a little resentment to the statement that huntin is mostly done for sport and enjoyment. I don' t get a thrill out of killin. I agree it' s recreational in a way, but not completely. It ain' t golfin. With food prices so high huntin is hopefully going to help feed my family and save money. I ain' t doin it just so I can have fun and kill something. There' s more to huntin than that. I reckon it' s preachin to the choir, and maybe I' m misunderstandin you (If I am I' m sorry.), but golfin is recreation, runnin/hikin in the park is recreation, even fishin for me is recreation, but huntin is way more profound than that.

Brandan
Old 03-01-2003, 04:03 PM

We are not allowed to hunt fox in ohio during the summer.If it is legal for you to shoot them during the summer and let them lay yes it is ethical{the furs are not very good then}Shooting groundhogs during the summer can be very helpful for farmers.I can hunt anywhere around here for ground hogs.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have shot yotes and left em lay. but i dont have anything to do with them. dont skin em or nothing. i shoot em because we got cattle and they can be a problem when we are calving. but i dont shoot fox. i think they are a beatiful animal and if i see one i just sit and watch it. but then agin we dont have that many fox around here. so i am prtty lucky to see a fox
Old 03-04-2003, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

but blatant waste
Waste? Who decides what is waste? Let' s see, it' s waste to let the hide go to rot but not the carcass? I' m confused...[&o]

It' s not waste to let a yote rot but it is waste to let a red fox rot?

Some folks think it wasteful to not eat everthing one kills. Sorry folks but I ain' t eatin yote, fox, or possum as long as I' m not starvin...[:@]

Good pelt on a fox, I' ll take it. Scroungy, rubbed, it' s gonna lay...

Quick Reply: pedator hunting is it ethical

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.