Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

[Deleted]

Old 02-08-2003, 09:08 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-08-2003, 11:03 AM

Default RE: Too much or not enough?

I would try #4 buckshot or #1 buck.as for the rifled barrel I don't know bout that.I would use regular smooth barrel I think.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:24 PM

pa, DO NOT shoot shot out of a rifled barrel unless you have endless $ for one it wont pattern worth a hoot and 2 it will ruin the rifleing. if you want to go with a cheap sulution buy foster slugs to shoot o9ut of it or if your a little more on the expencive side use sabots. and last if your gunna shoot turkey shot anyways buy a new englund arms 12ga. they run around $75 but dont shoot shot out of a rifled barrel.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:49 PM

while i can see no way it will ruin the rifling it may leave lead or plastic residue in the rifling but that can be cleaned. the rifling will open up the pattern a good bit though and thats the main problem. range with a large shot sixe between 50-75 yards id think.

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 02-08-2003, 11:57 PM
Fork Horn

Shooting out of a rifled barrel is hardly a problem. Just don't use shot, rather sabot slugs. Sabot slugs are more expensive than rifled slugs and shot shells, but if you scope out a shotgun with a rifled barrel your range will be a lot farther than with shot. The purpose of the rifling is to stabilize the "bullet", making it more acurate thus enabling it to travel farther.

Brandan

Old 02-14-2003, 10:35 AM

I wouldn' t use turkey load. I personally like 3" 00 buckshot with a modified choke. It leaves a good pattern and it has decent distance.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:14 AM

Any type of buckshot , bb,2 shot is what we use around here.During our shotgun season we have to use 4 shot or higher.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve used about every different shot size between 00 and 4 for yotes, and depending on the situation, I' ve never been let down by any of them...i.e. I only use #4 up close, only 00 when they' re at 40yrds or slugs at or past 40, etc., good hunt planning yields good hunts.

I' m guessing your turkey shells are gonna be #2' s, so they' d be really good for yotes, especially since they are " highpower" or " high velocity" which basically only gets you to pay $10 for 10 rounds instead of 25rounds and serves no other practical purpose, but it does add JUST A LITTLE extra oomph. I' d say as long as they pattern well, say 60-70% of your shot hitting a coyote torso sized target at whatever range, you' d do well enough out to 45-55yrds, but that' s just me, I feel that 75yrds mentioned above is extremely generous, maybe a 60yrd shot would be feasable, but out to 75 is pushing it.

In rifled shotguns aka slug guns/barrels, you NORMALLY won' t shoot large sized shot very well, smaller shot will group pretty tight normally, but the bigger shot fight eachother as they leave the barrel, so they don' t group worth much usually. If it does pattern well for you, then good for you, and good luck with it. You don' t have to worry about damaging your rifling because a) shot lead is much softer than barrel steel, so even if they hit it they wouldn' t do much damage, and b) your shot' s gettin pushed down the barrel in a plastic shotcup, so it ain' t gonna touch the barrel anyway.