Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Prime Time???

Old 02-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Prime Time???

Is their a prime time for calling coyotes or would they be likely to respond anytime of day?
Thanks,
JE
Old 02-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Prime Time???

just like most hunting,early morning before 9 and late in the evening after 3 or 4,I have called in a few at different times during the day,but this usually happens when its real cold or snow on the ground,tomorrow it's going to be in the high 50's here in ky. so be set up before daylight and as soon as you can see object's good enough to shot,start calling and be ready,if they're close they can be on you in 30seconds or less,90% of the coyotes that I have shot came to the call in less than 5minutes,with a straggler every now and then that may stay back and watch for movement,if you cant sit still they will see you,if you talk or whisper they will hear you,if you smell like biscuit and gravy they will smell you,good luck.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

Yea coyote68 is right, low light hours are best ,but thats not to say that you can"t call a dog up in the middle of the day. Some times you need to look for just a set of ears over a hill, and some times you need to shoot to keep"em out of your lap. If a dog comes in in the first few mins. he"ll probeblly be comin hard, if after a while he may come in pretty cousiouslly.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

hey yodeldog3 it sounds like you have had them suprise you a time or two also,it makes my heart beat faster than a big buck, when they come from the tree or bush beside you and are spitting distance in two seconds and gone or dead in two more,nothing else in the hunting world is as exciting to me,I would like to see the look on these guys faces when one does the old fly by,and you probably couldn't have hit him with a shotgun muchless a rifle,I'll bet they will be scratching their heads wondering how the heck you kill one at a 100mph,they are definitaly in for some excitement being newcomers to the sport.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Hey coyote#68 Man that"s no kiddin, thatS the cool thing about this sport, you just never know what where or when it will happen if it does. I had two last year come out of corn, that we had our backs to, wind in our face, one was ten yards to the left the other inbettween me and my buddy. They came in from up wind!!!! Being that close up wind, Isure thay were pups probeblly didnt make it to this year.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Typical Buck

probably not I read a article once that said that up to 75% of the coyotes born wont live to be 2 years old due to about 60% of them dieing in the first winter mostly by encounters with hunters of all types.I killed a little light grey female last year that had been shot in the ass probably by rabbit hunters in january,I think she saw my head move in a brushpile and thought I was food I killed her at 12feet and my e-caller was 50 yards down the creek she was all infected and bloody in the backside I think I done her a favor,she probable would have died from infection or starvation anyway.Are you all having any luck this year,This is my worst year ever I made 3 sets and tried to call something in today but nothing came except crows,one redtail hawk,and a big owl looking for a snack.I think they have to much to eat this year,the drought and last weeks tornado killed a lot of deer and livestock this season I have seen several deer dead around water this year hope they comeback stronger next year.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

We had a couple good days, the last sat. in jan. we got two coyotes and a little red in the morning, and then missed a dog in the woods with the 12 gage. Yea that will happen, storms and such. mother nature takes care of her own. Really a pretty good year up here, we been getting a lot of snow. You know that makes it nice for everything. I just like the white como, you blend in so good. Hope it turns around for you soon.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Typical Buck

I'm sure it will,I wish we would get some snow there is a chance tonight'but it looks more like freezing rain right now,the last coyote I saw was in late January,but I haven't got to hunt as much this year.Just ordered some ammo for my 5mm rifle it is available again.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Typical Buck

Well you know as long as you can get out in feb. & march you got a good chance to kill dogs. Up here in the north march is my faverate time to hunt coyotes. The breeding season is in full swing, and the females are really looking for easy food, so that"s a deadly combo.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

Yes I killed a female and her mate last march the 5th on a 600acre farm that I hunt,I wish it was closer for me to get there its over an hour away,but it has plenty of unpressured coyotes and deer.I might go up there this weekend and do some howling and calling.

Quick Reply: Prime Time???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.