Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

My First Offical Coyote Hunt Sat.???

Old 02-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My First Offical Coyote Hunt Sat.???

hey I hope you got a dog, and one for your cousin to. I will never forget my first dog, Squirl hunting in N. Illinois with my dad, we were sitting on a log eating a sandwitch goffin around with the squirl call. she came up behind us, at like 5 yards. I think he had a load in his pants when I turned and let her have all three shells of 7.5 or 8 shot. Boy did he get pissed at me for not unloading the shootgun before we sat down. That was in 1983 he"s gone now, but we had alot of laughs about that for years after.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry guys hadno luck.We had a blast though.It was such a nice morning.On our first set we heard some barking a pretty good ways but could'nt get them in.On our second set we tried to move as close as we could (property line) to the barkingand still had know luck.Seen seven deer playing in the distance taunting at us.I think I'm going to try and buy me a electronic caller and use it until I get a better understanding of the calls.
Too bad you had no luck with them crappies.I'm looking forward to getting after them as well.There is a pond about 40 minutues from my house that is loaded with huge slabs.Best crappie fishing I've ever seen.I just found it last year and I've never caught less than 30 every timeI've went.
Haha nice story yodeldog3. You can't beat good times in the woods.Just like yesterday,we did'nt kill or call in a coyoted but it was a succesful day.Me and my cousin/best friend had a really good time as always.
Next weekend I'm going to my hunting club in mountains and going to spend the weekend at the cabin.Maybe I'll have me an electronic caller by then and will have some luck.
Thanks for all the help fellas,
James
Old 02-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

hey bamahuntin if you heard a coyote barking and carrying on this was probably a warning or alarm bark letting other coyotes know of the sight or scent of danger sometimes they do this and wont shut up until you move and they make you out for sure and then the gig is up,you have very little chance of calling anything in if they do this.They might have seen something or someone else,I've had them do it at me after missing them with my old bear recurve out of my deerstand they dont recognize you as a human up in a tree,and will stay around longer than if you were on the ground,if you are on the ground and they see you they leave at about 45mph without hesitation and usually a backside shot is all you can get.Keep on trying sooner or later everything will fall in place and you will have one rush in and make it seem so easy,but this dont happen everytime professional or beginner,if anyone tells you they call one in everytime,they are full of _ _ _ _ it dont happen thatway,just keep hunting.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

hey bamahuntin, Too bad about sat. but if you had fun and do it again you will get a dog sooner or later. If you are going to look at electronic calls, cheak out the ( Johnny Stewart- Prey Master) It"s alot cheaper than some of the other callers, I think it"s very good for volume and variety of calls