Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

squirrels and dogs

Old 01-20-2008, 12:20 PM

Default squirrels and dogs

how much harder is it to hunt squirrels without dogs. me n my friend are lookin to go no dogs or calls and just walk through n find em. is it easier w/ a dog or does anyone know an easier way?
Old 01-20-2008, 12:26 PM

Default RE: squirrels and dogs

I used to just sit and wait for them to come out.Used a 22 cal. rifle..
Sometimes they will go around back of the tree..They one of you
stay on one side while the other guy walks around.Sometime the
critter will circle back around to you.Good luck
Old 01-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

only way i hunt is to walk around and when i see one i stalk within range. I also use a .17hmr so within range for me is about 100yds.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:37 PM

Dogs are the easiest way, cause they will (if trained) jump on and bark at the actual tree the squirrel is up. Second easiest is to find a big hollow tree, and sit within shooting distance of it and wait for them to come out. Next would be walking through the woods, cause squirrels usually freeze or run in a hollow tree when they hear you coming. They can be picked out while walking, but it's more difficult without a dog helping you atleast get close to the right tree. Another advantage the dogs have is if the squirrle hits the ground alive they can generally kill it without getting hurt, and without tearing it up as bad as trying to shoot it again would.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:42 AM

i have never hunted squirrels with dogs but it is fairly easy without. during deer season sitting in my tree stand i could watch squirrels play all day so the day after deer season i went back with my handy dandy 22 and sat in my stand. but i swear squirrles can id guns like if i came with my slug gun they wouldnt care but sometimes they go quiet when i come with 22 thosae thing r sneaky but just find a hickory nut tree and sit under it.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:54 PM

myles7.62by39
but i swear squirrles can id guns like if i came with my slug gun they wouldnt care but sometimes they go quiet when i come with 22 thosae thing r sneaky but just find a hickory nut tree and sit under it.
You are absolutely correct! Don't know how they do it (ID 22) but I've had the same situations with those sneaky suckers...
Old 01-25-2008, 01:15 PM

in new jersey i dont think you can hunt w/ a .22 or .17 cause we dont have a rifle season. u can only hunt w/ a muzzleloader
but i may be wrong as i just breezed through
Old 01-25-2008, 03:45 PM

The way it reads to me is there are certain zones (north, and south)that are muzzleloading only, and have a different season than the rest of the state. The Jersey site is much harder to navigate than Virginia's site though, so don't take my word for it.