Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Squirrels?

Old 01-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default Squirrels?

well im not new to hunting but i am new to squirrel hunting. i have a few questions.
1. what kind of day is best for squirrel activity?
2.What time of day is best
3. better to sit or sneak around.
4. .22, .410, or .22 mag. I have all of them

thnx for the help.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Squirrels?

1. Early on when there are lots of leaves I like for there to be some dew/rain on the trees so when they jump I can hear them since it is so hard to see them. I don't really notice a whole lot of differences in the days where I hunt as long as it's not real warm out. As long as it's cool I notice they seem to be almost always working.

2. For me, the best time is from about 7-9 am. Thats when I like to be out in the woods by. Seems like about 7:30 the woods kind of come to life, and then at about 8:30-9, it starts to wind back down and get slow again.

3. As for how I hunt, I change it up almost every time I go out. If I'm seeing alot I'll usually stay fairly close to one spot and just kind of go from tree to tree in a small area but if there isn't much moving, I start creeping up on them.

4. .22 all the way, never have and don't ever plan on using anything else. I've got mine dialed in perfect- headshots all the way. I use hollow points too.

Here where I hunt, I can sneak in and find a "shagbark" hickory and usually kill my limit out of that.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:19 AM
Dominant Buck

I like to go out early, right after sunrise. Clear days are best for me, and I don't like to sit and wait for them, I stalk until I spot them. I mostly use a 20 gage loaded with #7.5 shot with a modified choke, but once the leaves are down I switch to my 10-22. There are plenty of hickory and oak on my property, so I have lots of fox squirrels.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:35 AM

Ok, I have a ton of squirrels running around the house. I have a bunch of Oak trees and they are full of squirrels. I haven't decided on hunting them due to not having the &$&^$(courage) to eat one! It seems like you'd need a load of them to make a meal. Not to mention the rest of the family freaking out. I just got them used to wild hogs within the past 6 months.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: psdpower

I haven't decided on hunting them due to not having the &$&^$(courage) to eat one!
Man, if you'veovercome your reservations abouteating something as nasty as a wild hog,you can definitely eat a squirrel. Fried squirrel is some great eating. Fry it up just like chicken and them toss some flour in the grease for some gravy and you got yourselfa mighty tastymeal.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:14 PM

Hogs nasty.....Yeah, but man they do taste gooooooooood! Slow roasting is the key. I wouldn't even know how to begin to clean one out. Anybody have a good reciepes?
Old 01-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Crowkilla
Man, if you'veovercome your reservations abouteating something as nasty as a wild hog,you can definitely eat a squirrel. Fried squirrel is some great eating. Fry it up just like chicken and them toss some flour in the grease for some gravy and you got yourselfa mighty tastymeal.
You got that right! Squirrel and red-eye gravy can't be beat. Oh yeah, and some homemade biscuits with Mayhaw jelly. It'll make you slap yer mama it's so good!
Old 01-15-2008, 02:00 PM

ok SIMP. Give me some reciepes so I can slap my mama silly! (I gotta watch out, she may beat my arse with the dead squirrel!)
Old 01-16-2008, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL! My mother and grandmother always fixed squirrel in a big cast iron dutch oven. They would slow cook them in gravy and when done, the meat would fall off the bone. They'd fry them like chicken as well. That was my favorite. Chicken fried squirrel with the gravy, biscuits and jelly. I never slapped my moma though! I was afraid that she'd hit me over the head with that big cast iron dutch oven!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:02 AM

ORIGINAL: wi_buckstomper

well im not new to hunting but i am new to squirrel hunting. i have a few questions.
1. what kind of day is best for squirrel activity?
2.What time of day is best
3. better to sit or sneak around.
4. .22, .410, or .22 mag. I have all of them

thnx for the help.
1. Any day that isn't real windy.
2. About half an hour after sunrise is when I usually see the squirrels start to come out and it will last for an hour or two. In the evening is when I usually see the most activity and it will last from about an hour before sunset until dark.
3. Either or will do. Personally I like to setup on a mature oak ridge with a good canopy because the ground cover will be minimal and allow you to see a good deal of area.
4. If you're accurate with your .22 I'd take that as it allows you more range and less potential for wasted meat (head shots). If you are not confident with the .22 then I'd go with the .410.

HTH

Quick Reply: Squirrels?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.