Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Newbie Coyote Question-Missed Opportunity

Old 01-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Newbie Coyote Question-Missed Opportunity

I have a question I was hoping some of you experienced coyote hunters can surely help me with. I apologize in advance if this question has been presented before as I didn't read though all the old posts in this section of the forum. I went out this morning for my first ever formal coyote hunt in southcentral Michigan. I have been having problems with the darned critters harassing deer and turkey and decided to try to thin their numbers. I knew where I had been seeing a couple of coyotes all during bow and gun hunting and knew I would need an east wind to keep from getting busted. This morning was the morning I had been waiting for. I set up on a hill with my back to an abandoned railroad grade that is about 40' below the fence so I could see down though my fallow field and across the adjacent farmer's field and to the woods some 400 yards away. I sat under a tree in full camo (including face) all balled up to conceal myself as well as I could. I was using a Prey Master electronic call and a MOJO critter to lure them across the open and fallow fields. When I could see well enough I started the call sequences. After the second sequence, I saw a blur darting down the edge of my field just in the farmer's field. This critter was closing at a high rate of speed. Then I lost him. I kept trying to see down the field, but no motion at all. After 3-4 minutes I hit the call again and to my surprise, this bugger had gotten across the fallow field without my seeing him and was coming along the fence row just flying towards the decoy. This part was not totally unexpected as I figured he would try to get down wind but he couldn't because of the setup. He was on me in a millisecond it seemed and was literally 20 yards and closing from when I first saw him...totally fixated on the decoy. I raised my rifle as he went past some brush and he never even saw me. Problem was, I had a scope and it was maxed out to 5 power (thinking he was coming from straight across in the fallow field). I couldn't pick him up in the scope at that range and he saw movement and turned around. But he didn't fly out. Instead, he hopped back a little and turned to look back at the decoy again for a second but I still couldn't get the crosshairs on him. If I had just taken my shotgun he would have bit the bullet. Instead off he went and I still don't think he really knew there was a human there..just something he didn't like.

Now, sorry I digressed there a bit..haha. The question is this, do you think that in a week or so I could set up in the same general area again when the wind is right and successfully call this same coyote back in again? This place I am setting up is just such a perfect place that I don't know how or where I would try another location. Should I use a different call? I was using a mature distressed rabbit but have others available. I don't know if this encounter with the mature distressed rabbit sound might make him call shy to that particular sequence or not. Do you think I could use a pop up blind without spooking him? If I could get set up on a chair 12"-18" I could see across the field better. If you have any other advice that would help in this (or other) situations, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks in advance. Man, this predator hunting is FUN!!
Old 01-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Newbie Coyote Question-Missed Opportunity

Exciting isn't it. Nothing like having a yote in your lap and nothing to shoot it with.

There have been times that I had a coyote or two come running in and get spooked by a rabbit that happened to be in their path. I then would watch as they would run off. After a minute or two I would start calling again and back they came.

You did the right thing by not taking a shot that you know you couldn't make. You didn't educate the critter so you should be ok going back there again. Possible with the same sound, but I would try something else first, then go back if it doesn't produce anything.

Show us some pictures when you get one.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:14 PM

i am trying to get into coyote huntign too and i think im going to bring a shotgun or something for backup incase they get in close and are coming for me
Old 01-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Spike

I have just started hunting coyotes this winter in the Catskills (NY). Where I hunt is very mountainous with standing forest and a little swamp so I expect shots to be relatively close, within 100 yds or so. Because of this I hunt with a Savage 24F, which is double barrel over/under. The top is a .22 hornet and the bottom is a 12 ga. The way I look at it this setup should cover just about any shot I should encounter. You might want to look into a gun like that which also comes in .223 Rem and a feew other calibers. Here is the link to the savage site, http://www.savagearms.com/24f12.htm
Old 01-13-2008, 04:43 PM

First off, welcome to the addiction!! You might be able to get the same dog back with a different sound. I would certainly at least try. There is likely another dog in the same territory as the one you called, so you may even get his/her buddy; it's getting close to breeding season. I like to take my shotgun with me every time for that reason alone. It's a lot to carry, but in tall weeds I have a little tripod dove stool I'll bring along too if I have something behind me to help my camo work. Down here in NM there isn't usually much cover, so more often than not I'm just lying back on a yucca plant on the side of a hill with my rifle set on shooting sticks, and my shotgun on my right hand side. I wouldn't personally try a blind, because everything often happens in a hurry, and a blind may limit you from reacting quickly enough. Good luck to you.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the advise guys. Maybe I'll get proficient enough in time to offer some advice backto others myself. I do know this is a lot of fun and extends my season of being outdoors and in the woods and maybe it will pacify me until turkey season gets here...haha.