Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Questions

Old 01-30-2003, 07:51 PM

Default Coyote Questions

I live in Ohio...Do Coyotes have a mating season in Jan & Feb or do they come in heat thoughtout the year.
And
What signs do you look for when scouting and what does there "DO DO" look like ?
Thanks

God Is Good
Praise His Name
Old 01-30-2003, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Coyote Questions

Hey, Hen, how's it going? I don't really know the question about mating, you might be able to find it on the web, and people around here surely know. As far as sign, I reckoned it'd be like other animals. Concentrations of scat, tracks, and anything else that shows they're in the area. If you find a lot of birds, rabbits and such that have been killed, it could be a coyote. Also, you could try to find their dens. That's about all I know, and may have something wrong. Most of what I've learned about coyotes is from people on here and from reading about them on the net. I've wanted to get into huntin' coyotes for a while, but other things get in the way. I was going to buy a gun for it, but if I don't manage that I guess I'll try to use my bow. What part of Ohio are you from? I'm from the Toledo area myself.

Brandan

Old 01-31-2003, 03:48 AM
Typical Buck

coyotes and fox will begin to pair up in later part of january and begin to mate somtime in febuary into march and the females will have roughly a 62 day gestation period.a coyotes scat will generaly have two pieces one about 4 unches long the other about 3 inches long.both will be about the size of your index finger up about the size (diamater)of your thumb.the longer of the two pieces will always have a hook on one end,the j.and in winter time will most time be full of fur and or feathers,summertime can have barries,fur and just about anything in it.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:01 AM

Hen,its more like Feb and March in the nothern area.Here is a site that should give you all information you need,including the pictures of there "DO DO " and tracks. http://www.nationaltrappers.com/Coy0te.html
Old 01-31-2003, 04:06 AM

hen,sorry about that.http://www.nationaltrappers.com/Coyote.html