Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

it my calling good enough i can call in a ...

Old 01-28-2003, 05:17 PM

Default it my calling good enough i can call in a ...

well i couldn't call in a coyote but i did get two stray cats to come in. do you think i wasn't calling good enough for coyotes or do you think it was just too late in the morning(it was about 10)?
anyadvise would be greatly appreceated
Old 01-28-2003, 06:19 PM

Default RE: it my calling good enough i can call in a ...

It's hard to say without actually hearing your calling. You can come to any one of many conclusions; it was too hot,too cold, too windy, need better calling, better camo, better optics, better place to hunt. The thing is you won't see them every time your out. Sometimes they are there and you don't know it. Ask your self this, does your calling sound good to you, does your set up seem right, and most important do you have fresh sign. I've seen coyotes during the middle of the afternoon while hunting pheasant so I'm not so sure how important time of day is, although I personaly prefer to hunt dawn, dusk, and night, there's just something about those eyes glowing in the light that excites me. Are you using only one call, try distress sounds along with coyote sounds.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

since two cats responded to your calling, you were doing somthing right.as to why no coyotes showed,without being there its hard to tell.if your in the middle of harsh winter conditions,the 10 am thing shouldn't have mattered.although first and last light are always best for calling.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with coyoteseeker, you must be doing something right! Some believe that if there is a coyote that can here thier calls, that coyote will come. I'm here to tell ya that that is not the case. Why they don't come some times is up for debate. Even the most veteran callers will get skunked from time to time. So, keep at it, when they do come, it will be very exciting for you, and it will be worth the effort. Good Luck!
Old 01-30-2003, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

cats as in here kitty, kitty or cats as in now now kitty,kitty. (little cats or big predator cats)
Old 01-30-2003, 03:41 PM

i went out the other morning at around 5:30 and got to my spot at the edge of the swamp. then i started calling and within 10 minutes of calling a coyote came (so there just must not have been any the day i got skunked) anywho i raise my shotgun waited for a broad side shot and and took the shot...unfortunatly i missed high....but it was a rush to have him come in. definetly gunna keep with this sport its a hoot! oh yea do you have any tips on estimating yardage?
Old 01-30-2003, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have my best success judging short yardages by look at my surroundings and judging 10 yrds. at a time. In other words. I figure I can judge 10 yrds. pretty accurately, so I first estimate 10 yrds., then add another 10 yrds. to that and so on. I did finally break down and by a lazer range finder this year. It is the ticket. When you set up to call, judge yardages to certain land marks before you start calling. This way, when the critter shows up, you will have something to go on. Tell yourself, that a certain landmark and within is your effective range. And then don't take your shot until the critter is within your effective range. Congrats on getting some action. Now, get out there and seal the deal.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

maybe i missed somthing here and please to get me wrong but how do you miss high with shotgun shot???generaly from 0 to 30 yards with a standard 28 inch mod choke barrel with any size shot if you put the bead right on him your going to hit him with all or some of that shot pattern.or was it you were using a slug?but any way that rush is nice isn't it?? congrats on drawing one in close enough for a shot,that means your doing somthing right.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:41 PM

Howler thanks for the yardage tip i'll try that neaxt time.
coyoteseeker, i missed high because im useing a shotgun with a slug (i got nervous and took my eye off the spot i wanted to hit) but yea thats the most fun i've had even tho i missed to see them run in like that is just... wow!
Old 02-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Hey man what kind of cat? I was actually serious

Quick Reply: it my calling good enough i can call in a ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.