Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Charged by an angry Armadillo

Old 12-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Charged by an angry Armadillo

Go ahead and laugh but I kept my cool and made the kill without being killed or injured. While squirrel hunting this evening with my 10-22, I spotted an armadillo about a hundred yards ahead of me on the path that I was walking. I skillfullyeluded detection and quickly closed the gap to about thirty yards after which I used my superb shootingabilities and made a well placed lung shot. As expected the beast rolled onto its back and twitched three times before it took a lesson from its possum kin and played dead. I carefully waited enough time to make sure that he was trullyexpired before I approached him, a good 3 seconds. As soon as I moved closer to claim my trophy this brute got up and ran into the dense underbrush. At this point an unexperienced hunter might just walk away but this is Florida, the human population is constantly rising and the dillas encroach more and more into our home territorry. This creates a safety hazard for women and children. I risked life and limb and went after the creature and when I was about ten feet away he charged. Luckily I was able to keep my wits and I hit him three times and I stopped the charge with only inches to spare.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Charged by an angry Armadillo

How did you do it?? You must have ice water running through your veins! I lost a good hound on warm fall evening to one of these so called "dillas". I'm glad you made it out of there alive.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

I kill dillas w/ my matthews. Theyre not that mean.lol nah just j/k, they can wind up being pretty dangerous.I sniped three of them with my .223 ackley at 475. Three shots and three kills. Two of them were hit in the head on accident.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Spike

Dont know much about "dillas" how big do these things get ?
Old 12-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you are out at night with a headlight and shine it on them, they will sometimes charge straight at the light. When that happens it sounds like a Rhino is coming at ya.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: steakman

Dont know much about "dillas" how big do these things get ?
There about the size of a football but their not very gracefull.Like Lanse Couche saidthey do make a lot of noise when they run. There's a lot of dead palmetto branches littering the ground where I hunt and they run right through them while making a weird kind of grunting snort noise.

Bigbucks, how well do your arrows hold up? Is there armor tough to get through? I'm afraid if it's still in him he'll break the arrow whenhe starts jumping around.