Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Mouth Call v. Electronic Call

Old 11-22-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Mouth Call v. Electronic Call

Ok everyone, so what do you preferer, the electronic call or a mouth call? I prefer a mouth call, mostly the PC-7 high pitch cottontail call from Johnny Stewart, but when i feel lazy or want to take the attention off of me, i set up the preymaster digital caller.. what do you guys use?
Old 11-22-2007, 05:49 PM

Default RE: Mouth Call v. Electronic Call

I prefer mouth blown calls, because in general they are lighter, and sound a lot better. Most electronic calls I have heard either sound distorted, or have a metallic sound that just isn't natural sounding. They just seem to have no soul. I know electronic calls are easier and with a satellite speaker, or a remote they shift the focus away from your stand, and they kill a heck of a lot of animals every year, but I'll stick to what's hanging on my lanyard. Plus I feel a greater sense of accomplishment when I can trick them myself.

As for what calls I use, it varies from the Johnny Stewart calls, to some I made my self, to other brand names, to howlers, rabbits, and mouse squeakers. I don't discriminate they all have there own sounds, and can be manipulated to fit various situations. I own at least a dozen or so.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:11 PM

Default RE: Mouth Call v. Electronic Call

Iown and have used both.

The e-callers have advantages for sure. Pressa button and let it run for a bit and get ready. But, one thing that is tough, at least for the model I own, is that it is tough to coax, or 'feather' a coyote in. The e-call is a all-or-nothing kind of thing.

Also, the e-calltakes more time to set up(mine is not wireless) is more to carry along than just a simple lanyard, and I've foundsometimes requires more movement to operate.

I usually prefer to be more mobile, and pack very light for a hunt.Lately, i'll have a lanyardof a open reed howler, distress call, and a squeeze-type coaxer that can be velcroed to my gun in a location that allows me to use it while having both hands on my rifle/shooting sticks, and in a ready position.