Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Yote Hunting advice

Old 10-31-2007, 06:36 AM

Default Yote Hunting advice

I have a farm in northern PA that my family and Ihave sheep onand have been getting hit pretty hard this year by yotes. I live in MD but go up everyweekend to help while my uncle does most of the work during the week.The sheep they are taking is sometimes in the middle of the day, I have taken one or two but I have not had much calling them with the Cass Creek Electronic call I bought. Should I be looking for a different call? Change my calling? I set up and use the rabbit in distress call and usually wait about 15 minutes or so. Then try a new location.

right now the young lambs are all too big to put out on a post and lure them in as they would likley hurt themselves by trying to free themselves or I would do that.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:15 AM

Default RE: Yote Hunting advice

I do alot of damage control for cattle ranchers here in Idaho and one good way to kill alot of yotes is to sit over a kill they have already made. If they get a lamb try to set up on the down wind side 200yrds or less if you can for an easy shot early morning seems the best time for me but we have shot some in the evenings to.have your uncle or someone drive you by were you want to sit in the dark and drop you off then the yotes wont know whats up because they are use to farm equitment moving around on a farm.use shooting sticksAND SIT STILL after you shoot a yote DONT MOVE work the bolt and remain still yotes will still come inthey here gun shots all the time and the dead yote laying there does not seem to bother them i have shot 6 yotes in one morning off one dead calf no bs if you go to TT custome calls web site there is a picture i think of 3 laying by a dead calf with me i shot those 3doing what i am telling you click on themeet the pro staff section my name is joe may
Old 10-31-2007, 12:34 PM

Holy cow, there's a pic in there with 15 yotes. And another with 4. There was a recent sheep killed I could hunt over that.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might also get a mouth call. They can be had relatively inexpensively, and they will have a lot more volume than your electronic call.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:53 AM

I guess you found the website, if you have a sheep down then in the middle of the day find a spot to sit and prepare it for the nextmorning IE sit down and move anything in your way or add cover whateverit might be then the next morning have someone drop you in the spot set your gun in the sticks and SIT STILL. if all of the sheep was noteaten in one nite you are only dealing with one or two problem yotes if they eat the whole thing in one nite i would guess you are dealing with a pack
Old 11-01-2007, 05:43 PM

here is the picture i was talking about my wife had to help me i am not a computer guy

Old 11-01-2007, 05:49 PM

All of the yotes are laying right were they died i was in a shallow ditch about 128yards away i were a saggy it is basically a guile suit i have been using one for years they are great as you can see there was not allot of cover to use
Old 11-01-2007, 07:29 PM

Coyotes hunt in packs, the kill what they eat. In the spring, they kill and eat and then regurgitate to feed their young.

Where you see one, there is probably 18 or 20.

If you are serious about killing them, you would tell everyone you know to feel free to hunt on your property anytime they wanted. Only stipulation would be that they have to shoot all the coyotes that they see.

If it is posted land, the signs have to come down.

There is no way that a weekend warrior can kill them as fast as they repopulate an area. 4 coyotes can make 30 pups in one year. They only stay until they run out of food. Mainly your sheep!

Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield PA has a contest right now for the biggest coyote.

You can advertise that you have a problem there and they will do the rest!

MosquitoCreek? Sportsmans club has a contest once a year in January I think where they have a contest to see who can get the most in one weekend and who can get the largest. There is another source for hunters to take care of your problem.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:02 PM

yotes do not only hunt in packs they tend to go through life in pairs they will even mate for life . I am not saying they do not ever form packs i tend to see larger groups of yotes later in the winter as the hunting gets a little harder for them and they might even stay together through the spring breeding season to help care for the alpha male and females pups.I have seen lots of groups of 5 or 6 but I have never seen a group of 18 or 20. Also ifyou arecorrect and were there is one there is 18 or 20 then bring allot of ammo because every time you go calling even if you only see half of whats coming in thats going to be allot of yotes.