Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

tree rats....

Old 01-12-2003, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default tree rats....

in the winter do tree rats kinda hibernate or not come out as much?? ive been out doing some afterseason deer scouting alreayd and seen 2 rats...both were the same day...the day right before an "artict" cold front came in and it almost hit 50 that day...i think they came out because it was warm..the other time i was out i didnt see one..or a track for that matter...normally the area has a few running around...if i went to the mountains hunting them this coming weekend would it be a long cold day with not much shooting if any because they hibernate or what?? thanx

Old 01-12-2003, 09:50 PM

Default RE: tree rats....

They are still active, but not as much. They seen to come out at sunrize and disapear 2-3 hours later. So if your gonna go get there before sun rise.

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:47 PM

It depends on the weather. If it is very cold they may not come out til a little later in the morning. They don't mind chilly weather but they are not crazy about cold. If it's uncomfortably cold for you then you may want to wait til a little later in the morning. They are usually active most of the day in mild weather. I can go out and shoot them just about any time of the day. They are just a little more vigilant during the middle of the day and will seem harder to find. Go slow, stop long and often. Look and listen. They're there.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

how about 20-30 degree weather with snow on the ground?? should they be out if the weathers been that way pretty consistantly for about 2 weeks? what time of day will be the best?? thanx
Old 01-13-2003, 09:10 PM

I hunted both days last weekend and they came out at first light and dissapeared a few hours later. Temp was between 15-30. Around mid-day there wasn't a squirrel in sight.

Old 01-14-2003, 10:46 AM

I guess it depends were your are. Were I hunt in east Texas they are everywhere! I see as many as ten or more at a time while I deer hunt. Now that deer season is over I am going to go after some bushy tailed limb rats.

In the winter they stay on the ground much more and are very alert. They dig for acorns they planted earlier in the fall. If you have a deer feeder, they love to hang out aroung those.

Edited by - WThunter on 01/14/2003 11:49:29
Old 01-14-2003, 02:43 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I have to add a question here. I've been seeing some gray squirells that are just HUGE. is it possible I am confused, and these are fox squirells? I know that there are a lot more this year than previous years, and they are much bigger.

Old 01-14-2003, 04:33 PM

Fox squirrels are usally larger than greys. Fox squirrels have orange tails and head.

Old 01-14-2003, 04:37 PM

They might be Fox Squirrels. If they are similar in color to the local Greys, they should have a darker face and head, almost black...and as 3030win stated, the underside will be an orange'ish or pale rust color whereas Greys are mostly white.