Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

07 Predator contest, take 2

Old 02-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 07 Predator contest, take 2

They are rubbing here too... I'm just knocking out some tough coyotes that have been overly-educated before season goes out. Heading out in a few minutes: would like to get one or two this week as we have some decent weather setting in.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

Heck, I thought all things were lost for me when I saw Steve's score!! 6800 points [8D] Killing machine.

We still have a month and a half before the end of this contest. There isn't squat going on around here. I went out all day Saturday and only saw three coyotes. I got lucky when I shot the one at over 400 yards.

As I said before, it was the luck of the draw that no two of us with high scores were placed on the same team.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: #40Fan
I went out all day Saturday and only saw three coyotes. I got lucky when I shot the one at over 400 yards.
Don't take that population density and land access for granted 40Fan! I hear the average Indiana predator caller will call and kill roughly 2-4 coyotes per season... although I know onlyhalf a dozenthat will match those numbers consistantly and another 75 that won't. I think the difficulty of succesful predator calling (East or West) is evident in the scores we see here: it's just not as easy as most folks think it is.

PS: No luck tonight!
Old 02-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Without looking back, I was thinking that we had decided that March 1st was the end of the contest? 6800 points...., ooops,..... got it fixed. Steve only wishes he'd had gotten a chance to shoot at that many coyotes.
IF a rancher contacts me about killing a few coyotes do to troubles, I'll go out again, BUT for now, I'm throwing in the towel.
Yip, #40fan lives nearthe highest coyote density in this state. That's evident with the fact that many of the ranches get flown each year in that part of the state.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a trip planned out West this weekend. After that, I'll be done as well.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

So, I went back and looked and an ending date to this contest was never set in stone.
SO let's voteon an ending date. March 1st, or March 15th, or March 31st?

Jrb is probably the only one wanting a little more time since his team is about the only with a chance to real in #40fan's team.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

Geeze Howler, you knocked my score back to zero in September and restarted the scoring... now you're gonna cut the contest short just as I'm closing in?!?! LOL!

Just kidding...I had every chance to put our team in the lead but didn't follow through with pictures. Before I knew it 40Fan had run away with the thing! I didn't even expect to catch you this late in the game Howler: but you slacked up and let me slide in.

Indianacoyote season runs through March 15th and I'll continue to hunt sparatically until then. I have some more new equipment coming in this week that needs to be tested, so I expect a few more coyotes...I'd alsolike to bag anotherfoxbefore season ends on them the 28th. The Red Fox I killed yesterday is at the taxidermist andI'd like to get another one tanned so I could wrap the pedestal in fur where the new fox mount will be displayed. Reds are hard to call here though: I've only taken 4 all year... it'll be hard to find another one on such short notice.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to vote for March 15th as an ending date. I have a few more days left of calling left in me, they are going nuts around my house every night.

I just got back from going out West River. Coulda/Shoulda had 7, end up with 1. Lack of patience, the dogs were coming to the call, but it was taking them 30 minutes to well over an hour to arrive. Rabbit distress didn't even perk their ears, howling and ki-yi'ing really got 'em fired up, but still took FOREVER to come.

The only dog we end up with I busted at about 350 yards after the pair hung up, me and my buddy counted to 3 and shot, mine dropped in its tracks, and I managed to miss his 9 more times before it cleared the country. To make it worse, MANGY as all hell.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

15th of March it is. Get after it Jrb!
Old 03-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, that about does it folks. #40fan got out of the gates fast, threw his team on his back,and never looked back. He obviously lives where there are a lot of coyotes, and he knows how to kill'em. Jrb put on a hard charge near the end and needed a little help from his team, but they ran out of time and predators, but a darn good showing none the less.
Amazingly to me how few of guys were actually able to contribute to the team scores. I really thought that a few other guys would bring in a few coyotes, but they never did. Goes to show that calling and killing predators isn't all that easy. Next year I think we'll change up a few rules and hopefully get more people involved.
And for the winner, what do we have Johnny!!....."We'll, we're a little short on the prize money this year and with the economy in such a slump, I think we should hold off on any prizes...for fear of going belly up. SO, at this time the best we can do is a BIG 'OL CONGRATS to #40fan for carrying his team to the top."

Quick Reply: 07 Predator contest, take 2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.