Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Hunting with a pistol

Old 01-04-2003, 01:27 PM

Default Hunting with a pistol

I have a SIGSauer P220, caliber .45 ACP. I would like to hunt with it, and not just shoot it at the range.

What do you think the kinds of game I should try hunting with it? Just small stuff, squirrels and prairie dogs? Or can I try for coyotes and foxes?

Any advice on loads: bullets, powder loads, etc.?

Also, tactics?

And, if you think it is just a bad idea, I'd like to hear that, too. Especially how come it's a bad idea and how you know it. That will help most of all.

Thanks!

Leslie Nordman
Old 01-04-2003, 04:46 PM

Default RE: Hunting with a pistol

Leslie;I have a Berretta 40 cal. I use when I go with my dogs.I have never taken a deer with it,but I have taken two hogs.dropped one in his tracks and the other took two shots.first shot hit him in the loose skin under the chin,the second in the neck.
I would say the 45 is plenty gun for hog or deer at close range,don't know enough about the 45 to give load or bullet size.
good luck,give it a try

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

You should have no problem at all with a 45acp on coyotes or fox. It will do any of them in without too much trouble at all. I know a few guys that hunt deer with a 45acp. I would probably hit them with a HP though, coyotes can be quite tough.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:42 PM

Thanks: your answers make me breathe a little easier. A .45 ACP pistol will hit and kill varmints at close range.

"Tree climber," how far out were those hogs when you shot them? What loads did you use on your hogs with your .40 cal. pistol?

What is "close?" To a SOCOM sniper with a Barrett 82A1 .50 BMG sniper rifle, 400 yards is like 10 feet away; a slam dunk. The same SOCOM trooper can drop a human or canine sentry with a CNS shot from his Heckler & Koch MK23Mod0 .45 ACP pistol (suppressed) at 100 yards, iron sights, first shot. Close range.

For us mere mortals, however, "close range" means something different. How far out should I practice? Of course, the answer to my next question is, "the best you can do", and "1/164 of MOA" :-), but can you give me a numerical value of what accuracy should I strive for? The SIGSauer is "the most accurate out-of-the-box .45 ACP pistol", so, at what range should this shooter strive to eliminate his errors? What is "close range?"

I know I should use hollow points on game like coyotes and fox, but how hot do they need to be loaded? Where can I find such information?

Thanks,

Leslie Nordman
Old 01-11-2003, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

most likely close would be defined as no more than say 25-35 yards