Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New to hunting

Old 07-23-2007, 03:07 PM

Default RE: New to hunting

New to hunting?
A 22 bolt action.

EVERYONE needs to start with a bolt action or a single shot 22. You will need to learn safety first. Then you can go get a semi-automatic 22 next year.
The year after that, you are REALLY going to want to start in on the higher power rifles

First rifle NEEDS to be a bolt action 22 for hunting small game!
I have a 22/.410 over under that I use for training my children. I still use it myself now and then for a rabbit hunt.

David
(Welcome to the addiction!)

Old 07-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd start out with a 22 long rifle or a 12 gauge shotgun.

What kinda budget are you talking?
Old 07-24-2007, 06:44 AM

Budget?
Now dont get this guy thinking that he can actually go by a budget! LOL

I know I told my wife that I would not have more than $500 invested in my deer hunting gear.... uhm... yeah.... LOL
I think I am at over $2000 in two years and I still dont have exactly what I want

Old 07-24-2007, 07:04 AM

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned getting into a hunter safety class. While some of the suggestions for what gun to use are fine, without the hunter safety class it's all for not.

And the information obtained in said class will also help determine what gun or guns he may choose.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:14 AM

I agree with Crittergiter. I guess I was assuming that was a done deal.

Hunters safety classes are a GREAT thing! Usually taught by a local that can answer most of your questions.

David.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:47 AM

David, I think that may have been the natural assumption here (and it may have already been taken care of) but when I see a title "new to hunting" my first thought is of the hunter safety class, not what gun can I put in a beginners hands.

Back on topic of guns however, my first was a Marlin Model 60 semi-auto 22 (19 years later and I still have it) but I also grew up in Colorado where hunting meant big game and my second rifle was a 7mm and I used the 7mm before I used the 22. I guess geography comes in to play and what critter is the intended target.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:11 AM

I am still thinking a SINGLE shot 22.
A lever action or bolt action would be OK. NOT a semi-auto.
I also encourage learngin hold over through games.
Here is how I teach my kids.
I give them a 22 and ten rounds.
There are five targets set up at increasing intervals 20 yards, 30 yards,50 yards,75 yards and100 yards. (this can all vary depending on our mood)
The rifle is an open sight.
They have ten rounds to hit them and score points.
They must hit the first target first (20 yards) then the next one (30 yards) and so on. Each target is worth so many points. You can not move on to the next target until you have hit the one you were previously shooting at.
You get more points for shooting standing up, than you do for kneeling. You get more points for kneeling than you do for laying down (prone).
The sight can not be adjusted once you have sighted in (this happens before the start of the game) you must learn to "hold over" or under.

As they got bigger, the kids started playing this game with different yardages. We now enjoy this game with targets set up at 50, 75, 100, 125 and 150 yards. (150 yards is NOT easy!)
sometimes we use smaller targets for closer objects and largers targets for further away objects.

With todays hypervelocity rounds, it takes a lot of the arc out of the good old 22.

Heck, now that I think about it. We used to do this same type of game when I was a kid with a BB gun (red ryder) and pop cans.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Being a beginner I would have to say that the .22 longwould be your best bet.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:20 AM

You might check with some of your friends.Surely, you know somebody that does a little hunting. And I might even bet that somebody you know, Just like may of us in here, own more than 1 .22 rifle, or other small game suitied rifle. Check with them. I am sure you can get them to take you out to the desert, or woods, or wherever you might be hunting to give it a try. This will do3 things for you. 1) help you decide whether you like it or not, and 2) maybe help you decide what gun to get, and 3) help you decide not to spend the money because you didn't like it.
Whatever you decide to do, have fun with it. And listen to most of what you hear in here. Lots of good info from guys with lots of experience. Good Luck.