Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Trapping a rabbit need help

Old 07-04-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Trapping a rabbit need help

Ive been trying to trap a rabbit in a cage trap but i havent had any luck. Could someone give me some tips to trap him. Ive tried putting it in his path but that didnt work and ive tried carrots and apples to bring him in but none of it would work.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Trapping a rabbit need help

What kind of box trap are you using? Double door or single door?

Apples are the best bait for rabbits. Try taking some brush to cover over the trap. Some bunnies are nervous aboutgoing intothe trapand they tend to shy away from it, so camoflaging the cage helps.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

Just wondering, but what is the reason for trying to catch the rabbit in a live trap. If you are trying to get rid of it I would use a 160 conniber trap on a trail. I catch them all the time In this size trap durring trapping season on game trails. Good luck to your bunny trappin, hope you get one or two!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:32 PM

Bowhunter, It's a single door and its like a hav-a-hart trap but a different brand. I do think im going to reset with apples and try to camoflauge it more. Should the apples be dry or not?

Roadkillwarrior, I'm catching so i can use it for training my beagle. I need it alive.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

The apples should be fresh. I usually will change them when they get dry/shriveled up. Make sure you set the hookholding up thedoor in a way that little pressure on the trip plate is needed to set the trap off.

Try wirering the apple down in the back of the trap. This will get the bunny pulling on the bait and adding more pressure to the trip plate. It also helps if you make a little trail of apple into the back of the trap. I usually put a small piece of apple a few inches outside the trap opening, one just inside the trap opening, one on the trip plate, and then a large piece in the back.

Good luck with both catchin a bunny and trainin your beagle!