Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Baiting coyote

Old 07-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Spike

Default RE: Baiting coyote

ORIGINAL: Sportsfann

A local shop owner told me he puts out chicken nugget with anti freeze in it to kill coyote.

Think its SICK myself but maybe try chicken and some kind of fish. I like to hunt them even without bait.
I had a dog die from antifreeze poisoning thats a bad way to go. He was several hours dying and hurting the whole time.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:45 PM

Trust me i live in New Mexico , with all these coyotes , its easy to find good bait ,The best soo far is just shoot a rabbit.Try to shot him in the rear so he wnt die.Get a rope and tie him be the neck to a stick by where you are hunting , It will provide bait and it will be a good call too.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to bait coyote, use road kill or just dead carcasses (same thing). If coyote are a nuisance and you want to get rid of them, an easier way to it is to pour anti-freeze on your bait.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

I know a guy that raised chickens and roosters. Everytime he would go predator hunting he would just get up before daylight, take one of his roosters, tie him up in a field near where he has heard coyotes, and wait for daylight. The rooster would crow and the coyotes and foxes would come lookin'.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:46 PM

Keith Miller has the best idea on here yet. Another way is if you have any venison flanks left over from over a year, set them out in a small whole or staked up, but make sure you set the meat out in the sun in a zip lock baggy for awhile to get some good aromas going on. Along with that method is to get a 3d target or deer decoy and lay it on it's side next to the meat and that will work also.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:29 PM
RJH

Anti freeze and tieing a wounded rabbit to a stick . come on guys lets have some ethics as sportsmanIm not even going not to mention the legality of what you guys are saying. And the possibilty killing unintended gamewould be a huge concern.As far as baiting they like it stinky I notice if it is out for 3 or 4 days that is when they hit it. I have been doing an experiment with spoiled venision and roadkill for the last few weeks and all 4 times they waited 3 or 4 days to eat.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:33 PM

Theres plenty of rabbits to go around , and according to game and fish they are varmints so dnt talk**** about what i have to say.I enjoy hunting them in the winter but its not like they are going to go extinct.you just need to stop actin like a treehugger!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I shoot a ground hog in the field I take tie wire and wire the tail and all four legs to a fence post. I then set up 20 minutes before daylight the next morning. I have killed three here in WV this way. I have noticed this year than when you shoot ground hog's in the field, all the ground hog's are gone the next day. It is my belief that the coyote's are hauling them off. I like to set up 300-400 yards away, and by a round bale. The farmer will leave one for you if you ask him to. Accessibility has to be next to a road or house-anywhere that access to the bale isnormally noisy-you will make some noise setting up. Put the tied up ground hog in brushy draws that you can see into. The more cover the better. Tom.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:06 AM

I have never baited, dont think it's legal in AZ, but it crossed my mind that yotes are wild and want to hunt not fed. Put some type of movement with the bait, a bird wing in a tree or something, then some calling to get them coming in.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:15 AM

Some years ago I had the chance to tag alongwith a state traper for a day. His favorite bait was urine and a dead snake and a couple of frogs in an old quart size pickle jar. Every time he got a coyote, he would empty the bladder into this jar. He would set it out in the sun for a day or two and when he opened it, I made sure I was up wind from him. He took seven yotes that day. one of which I killed with a 20ga. and #6 shot at twenty yards.